BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Sunday, 11 June, 2000, 17:15 GMT 18:15 UK
Palace acts over William photos
Prince William, Prince Charles and Prince Harry
Charles is fiercely protective of his sons' privacy
St James's Palace is to speak to the Press Complaints Commission about media coverage of Prince William after The News of the World published pictures of him at school.

The unauthorised pictures in Sunday's edition show the prince playing football and polo, going for a run at Eton and talking to friends.


Prince William
Media interest is heightening in Prince William who turns 18 on 21 June
A spokeswoman for St James's Palace said it was disappointed that the newspaper had decided to publish the pictures of the prince at school.

The palace said in a statement: "We will be taking the matter of current media coverage of Prince William up with the Press Complaints Commission (PCC) this week and asking the PCC to give further consideration to the issues involved before it sets out guidelines on the privacy of Prince William after he leaves school.

"The privacy of Prince William and Prince Harry at school has always been of paramount importance to us and it is vital for us to reaffirm the principle that the two young princes, like all children, should be free to complete their time at school without interruption.

"This is of continuing importance to us because even though Prince William himself will shortly be leaving school, Prince Harry remains at Eton."



The privacy of Prince William and Prince Harry at school has always been of paramount importance to us

Palace spokeswoman
No-one was available for comment at the News of the World on Sunday.

An authorised set of photographs to mark Prince William's 18th birthday are scheduled to be published next Saturday.

But the publication of those pictures has also provoked controversy, with a dispute between St James's Palace and the Daily Telegraph over ownership of the photos.

Sandy Henney, who had been the Prince of Wales' press secretary for seven years, resigned over the copyright issue.

It also led to the cancellation of a speech by Lord Wakeham, chairman of the PCC, appealing for continued media restraint to guard Prince William's privacy.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

10 Jun 00 | UK
Privacy fear for William
09 Jun 00 | UK
Protecting the princes
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories