Andreas Liveras had gone to the Taj Palace hotel for a meal
A British national killed when gunmen mounted attacks across Mumbai has been named as Andreas Liveras.
The Cypriot-born businessman, who emigrated to London in 1963, was pronounced dead on arrival at St George's Hospital in the Indian city.
Mr Liveras, 73, the founder of a luxury yacht business, had earlier told of the chaos in a BBC telephone interview.
Foreign Secretary David Miliband said at least seven Britons had been injured in the attacks.
Mr Liveras, who ran a yachting company in Monaco after selling the bakery firm he had built up, visited the Taj Mahal Palace hotel for a curry on Wednesday evening, having heard the hotel served the best food in Mumbai.
He became caught up in the violence, and when he spoke to the BBC he said: "I think it's got the best restaurant here. But as soon as we sat at the table we heard the machine gun fire outside in the corridor."
He described hiding under the table and then being led to a salon in the hotel where hundreds of other guests were sheltering.
Hotel guest: 'A gunman appeared and started firing in our direction'
Britons barricaded themselves in their hotel rooms during the attacks.
The Foreign Office has advised against all non-essential travel to Mumbai until further notice.
England's cricket team, which is in India, have decided to fly home from their tour of the country, but said it remained committed to returning for the Test series.
At least 119 people have been killed, and more than 300 injured, in the co-ordinated shootings in southern Mumbai.
Foreign Secretary David Miliband said: "This is a callous, inhuman and indiscriminate attack on people of all races and all religions. This attack in Mumbai is an attack on all of us because democracy in India is vibrant and because Mumbai is one of the world's most diverse cities.
"The most terrible thing is that we do have one confirmed British fatality. Obviously our hearts go out to the family of the victim and we are determined to do all we can to support those who are currently in hospital."
Earlier Prime Minister Gordon Brown said: "We will do whatever is necessary to protect British citizens and ensure the world is a safer place."
The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, wrote to the High Commissioner of India offering prayers "in solidarity with the innocent and in condemnation of those who would destroy innocent lives".
'It was mayhem'
Commandos have been fighting room-by-room through two luxury hotels in Mumbai, nearly 24 hours after the series of devastating attacks began across the city.
Indian officials said the Taj Mahal hotel had nearly been cleared of gunmen and trapped guests were being freed.
Commandos were continuing their sweep of another hotel, the Oberoi-Trident, where a number of guests were trapped in their rooms or being held hostage, said JK Dutt, of the National Security Guards.
At a third stand-off, at a Jewish centre, seven hostages had been released, a security official said.
Michael Murphy was hit in the ribs by a bullet
Diane Murphy, 58, from Northumberland, was shot in the foot in the Leopold Cafe, which she said had around 100 people inside it when it was attacked.
She told how she held her husband, Michael, 59, as he lost consciousness after he was hit in the ribs by a bullet.
"All of a sudden there was automatic gunfire," she said. "The whole place fell apart.
"It was tremendously loud. Everybody was down on the ground. The gunfire stopped for a few seconds then started again.
"It was mayhem. There were so many casualties. It was carnage. We had to wait - it seemed like an age - for the police to arrive."
The couple were taken to hospital, where Mr Murphy remained in intensive care.
There was more firing, it felt like the gunman was coming towards us, I was hiding in the lift trying not to be shot
"People immediately in front of me and to the side of me started to fall and about three or four of us managed to somehow get away. It was all quite quick really."
The British High Commissioner in India, Sir Richard Stagg said: "We have visited most of the central hospitals where those injured have been taken and have met seven British victims who are in hospital at the moment and we understand there is likely to be some other injured of British nationality."
Rakesh Patel, a businessman who was eating in the restaurant of the Taj Mahal Palace when gunmen burst in, said: "They wanted anyone with British or American passports. So I guess they were after foreigners."
As news of the seriousness of the attacks came in, the British government convened an emergency meeting.
Two Red Cross experts are en route to Mumbai as part of a Foreign Office rapid response team to help British families.
British counter-terrorism police officers will also travel to help Indian authorities.
Interpol also said an Incident Response Team was being sent to Mumbai at the request of the Indian police to ensure close international co-operation.
The helpline set up by the Foreign Office has handled more than 500 calls and reunited a number of people, the foreign secretary said.
The Foreign Office has issued an emergency number for people with relatives in Mumbai: 0207 008 0000.
This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.