Page last updated at 19:22 GMT, Thursday, 30 October 2008

Thompson statement on calls row

Advertisement

The BBC's Director-General has been grilled over the prank calls controversy that has engulfed the corporation.

Speaking on the BBC News Channel, Mr Thompson said that there had been a "very serious breach of editorial standards" in allowing the lewd calls made by Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross to be broadcast.

On Jonathan Ross's 12 week suspension without pay, Mr Thompson said that the presenter "should view this as a final warning".

Russell Brand and the controller of Radio 2, Lesley Douglas, have resigned in the wake of the row surrounding the calls made to the actor Andrew Sachs.

Story Tools

BBC iD

Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2019 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific