Page last updated at 15:58 GMT, Friday, 10 October 2008 16:58 UK

Doctor in bomb case 'made a will'


Footage of the alleged 'bomb factory'

A doctor who launched a suicide car bomb attack on Glasgow airport made what appeared to be a will addressed to Osama Bin Laden, a jury has been told.

In the document, Bilal Abdulla said he was acting in revenge for injustices against Muslims by British and American soldiers, prosecutors said.

Woolwich Crown Court also saw police video of an alleged bomb factory.

Dr Abdulla, 29, and Dr Mohammed Asha, 27, deny conspiracy to murder and conspiracy to cause explosions.

Prosecutors say Dr Abdulla, from Paisley, was a passenger in the Jeep Cherokee, driven by Kafeel Ahmed, who died from burns sustained in the incident.

Dr Asha, from Newcastle-under-Lyme, was said to have been involved in the planning for the attack, which took place a day after a failed car bombing outside a club in London's West End.

Children screaming

Prosecutor Jonathan Laidlaw QC said police found the apparent will on a burnt laptop in the vehicle after the airport attack.

He said: "This document is addressed to, amongst others, the leaders of jihad in Iraq, to [Osama] Bin Laden and to the brothers or soldiers of jihad in Iraq, Afghanistan, Chechnya, Palestine and other areas of the world...

"The attacks he was planning were intended to kill. They were in revenge for the injustices as the defendant sees them that the British and American people and their armies visit on the Muslim communities."

CCTV footage shown to the jury was taken from several cameras around the airport on its busiest day of the year.

They showed the Jeep - later found by police to be holding gas canisters and fuel containers - engulfed in flames after it crashed into the doors of the main international terminal.

When the vehicle became trapped, the Dr Abdulla and Mr Ahmed tried to set it alight using petrol bombs, the court heard.

For those present it must have been the most terrifying of experiences
Prosecutor Jonathan Laidlaw QC

Mr Laidlaw said some children were screaming and people were knocked down as passengers attempted to run away.

He said: "There were a particularly high number of passengers passing through the terminal at that time.

"The queues at the departure desks had almost reached the terminal doors at that time in the afternoon.

"For those present it must have been the most terrifying of experiences when they appreciated what was happening."

Mr Laidlaw said: "It is clear that having failed to detonate the vehicles in London they were prepared to do literally anything to achieve an explosion which was bound, having been successful, to result in them losing their lives," he said.

He said Mr Ahmed was seen to pour and shake fuel from a can out of the window on his side of the vehicle.

"He then threw another petrol bomb down into that pool of fuel before getting out of the Jeep.

"Once he got out he was immediately engulfed in flames.

Mr Laidlaw said that as Dr Abdullah tried to run off he "shouted out that there were bombs" but he was apprehended.

An expert who examined the Jeep Cherokee described it as a "mobile fire bomb" that would be manually set alight, the jury heard.

Mr Laidlaw said: "It is possible that the liquefied petroleum gas cylinders could have exploded or ruptured during any fire, particularly if the regulators had been interfered with or opened.

"Such an event might well have resulted in a large fireball and the ejection of sections of the cylinders from the car with high velocity with the obvious consequent risk to persons some distance away."

Telephone call

The court heard a search of the property rented by Dr Abdulla and Mr Ahmed at Neuk Crescent in Houston, close to the airport, uncovered materials needed to make improvised explosive devices.

Bilal Abdulla and Mohammed Asha
The two doctors deny conspiracy to murder and cause explosions

Police video footage played to the jury of the living room showed wires and electrical equipment on a table, mobile phones, pliers, batteries and tape.

Forensic analysis linked the site and a Mercedes the men left outside the Tiger Tiger nightclub in London's West End, the prosecutor added.

Mr Laidlaw said that as the duo returned to Glasgow from London, they met Dr Asha at Stoke's Royal Infirmary.

He said CCTV footage showed the doctor leaving the hospital following a series of calls made from Dr Abdulla's mobile.

The prosecutor said the meeting was of "considerable significance" and demonstrated the importance of Dr Asha's role.

He said extremist Islamic literature and computer files were found at Dr Asha's home and he had made attempts to dump or destroy similar material.

The jury was shown footage of him allegedly disposing of property at supermarkets near his home.

Mr Laidlaw said Dr Asha had been followed by undercover officers before he was arrested on the M6 on 30 June.

The trial was adjourned until Monday.

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2019 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific