She added: "I had to go to the toilet in a bucket in a dark basement, which was full of other people's urine. People were crying and vomiting."
Another, Nick Levy, said that during his ceremony he was told to drink excessively and then run naked through Cheltenham.
He added: "We had to put matches in private, inappropriate areas and set them on fire whilst drinking more beer. I did it to be accepted by the older guys at the time.
"It was a bit tormenting, but if you didn't do it you would get called a wuss".
Other students blame bizarre initiation rites as a factor putting off students who might otherwise join university sports teams.
While most initiation ceremonies result in no more than embarrassment and a hangover the next morning, there have been at least three deaths of British students which have been linked to initiation ceremonies.
In 2006, 18-year-old Gavin Britton died after attending a golf initiation ceremony at Exeter University. His father, Ian, later blamed his son's death on social pressure to drink far beyond safe limits.
Another student, 18-year-old Alex Doji, died in an initiation ceremony at Staffordshire University after choking on his own vomit in 2003.
The National Union of Students has called for a total ban on initiation ceremonies in UK universities.
NUS President Wes Streeting told BBC News: "We are totally opposed to student initiations.
"They put students at serious risk and exclude students who don't want to take part in that binge-drinking culture."
This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.