BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Boxing promoter Frank Warren
"It's a complete nonsense"
 real 28k

The BBC's David Willis
"Tyson's lawyer said the allegations were totally false"
 real 28k

Friday, 19 May, 2000, 08:05 GMT 09:05 UK
Tyson fights new assault claims
Mike Tyson and Hampden Park
Hampden is expected to host the controversial bout
Mike Tyson's lawyer has told the BBC his client is determined to clear his name following allegations that the boxer hit a stripper in a Las Vegas nightclub.

The dancer, Victoria Bianco, has filed a report on the alleged incident with local police who are now investigating her claim.

Tyson, convicted of rape in 1992, has been allowed into Britain next month to fight Italian-American Lou Savarese.

But the decision has sparked outrage among some parliamentarians and women's groups.

Ms Bianco claims the former world heavyweight champion punched her in the chest and hurled expletives at her in a club where she was working as a topless dancer.

Police were called to the scene, but after interviewing witnesses, including Tyson himself, they decided not to press charges.

Denials

Miss Bianco, however, has persisted, filing a police report.

The nightclub's owner said Tyson was in a bad mood on the night in question and raised his arm before telling the girl to go away.

But he denied there was physical contact.

Tyson's lawyer, Jim Jimmerson said the allegations were totally false.


Mike Tyson
Mike Tyson - at the centre of a storm again
The boxer is currently in training in Las Vegas for next month's fight in Scotland, and Miss Bianco's allegations may only serve to fuel the controversy over his re-admission to the UK.

The row rages on over Home Secretary Jack Straw's decision on Thursday to allow Tyson into Britain for the fight.

Scotland's home of football, Hampden Park in Glasgow, looks set to host the bout on 24 June.

The promoters still have to secure a licence from Glasgow City Council but that is seen as a formality.

Co-promoter Frank Warren told Radio 5 Live the bout would take place at the stadium on 24 June. More than 15,000 fight fans have already applied for tickets.

Public mood against visit

Mr Straw's approval came despite a warning to the Home Secretary from Jim Wallace, Scotland's acting First Minister, of a growing public mood in Scotland against Tyson's visit.



He should be allowed to work, like any other normal individual

Frank Warren
And Scottish nationalists have accused Mr Straw of riding roughshod over Scottish wishes.

But Mr Warren argued that heads of state with "far worse records" than Tyson had attended a Commonwealth summit in Scotland without such protests.

"He has paid the price for his crimes", said Mr Warren.

"He should be allowed to work, like any other normal individual."

Tyson's fight in Manchester earlier this year had attracted 52,000 ticket applications.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

19 May 00 | Scotland
Hampden named as Tyson venue
18 May 00 | Scotland
Celtic refuse Tyson fight
18 May 00 | Scotland
Tyson cleared for UK fight
18 May 00 | Scotland
Full text of Straw's decision
30 Jan 00 | Sport
Tyson in the ring
11 Jan 00 | Sport
The life of Iron Mike
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories