Page last updated at 17:06 GMT, Thursday, 1 May 2008 18:06 UK

Jury sees 7/7 bombing CCTV images


CCTV footage shows final moments of tube train as it leaves Liverpool Street station

Previously unseen CCTV footage of the London suicide bombings has been released after being shown in court.

The film shows smoke and people fleeing after Shehzad Tanweer detonated his device on a London Underground train heading towards Aldgate in July 2005.

Other footage shows three of the four bombers on CCTV as they scouted for targets nine days before the attack.

Prosecutors showed the film in the trial of three Leeds men who deny assisting with target reconnaissance.

Waheed Ali, Mohammed Shakil and Sadeer Saleem all deny conspiracy to cause an explosion by taking part in a London scouting mission in December 2004.

The bomb between Liverpool Streeet and Aldgate
Attack: Footage shows effects on Liverpool Street platform

The jury at Kingston Crown Court saw CCTV footage of Shehzad Tanweer's bombing of an London Underground train between Liverpool Street and Aldgate stations.

The footage shows passengers boarding the train and it leaving the platform. Moments later smoke engulfs the platform as commuters run away. Police officers are seen running in the direction of the train on which seven people died.

The jury was also shown two clips of the aftermath of Hasib Hussain's bombing of a double-decker bus. In the first, the bus passes the British Medical Association's reception on Tavistock Square.

Seconds later people in the building can be seen to duck. In the second clip, passengers on the bus immediately in front of that targeted react with shock as they hear the explosion behind them.

Final reconnaissance

Prosecutors also showed the jury CCTV footage of three of the bombers carrying out final reconnaissance in the capital nine days before the attacks.

CCTV: Bombers' scouting targets at Kings Cross

The scouting trip did not involve any of the defendants who are only alleged to have visited London months earlier.

The CCTV images show Mohammed Siddique Khan, Shezhad Tanweer and Jermaine Lindsay travelling around the capital over the course of four hours. They visit a number of locations on the Underground network.

The fourth bomber, Hasib Hussain, did not attend - but had visited London with the defendants during the earlier alleged scouting mission.

The footage shows the three bombers meeting at Luton railway station shortly after 8am, before they join a commuter service to Kings Cross station.

CCTV cameras also captured the men at Embankment, South Kensington and Baker Street London Underground stations.

In the clips, the three men could be seen acting like ordinary commuters including buying tickets and using escalators.

Siddique Khan, the leader of the plot, was seen wearing a grey T-shirt and beige baseball cap and carrying a blue Berghaus rucksack. The jury were told that in one clip the ringleader could be seen eating an ice cream near Madame Tussauds.

Waheed Ali, Mohammed Shakil and Sadeer Saleem all deny conspiracy to cause an explosion by allegedly taking part in a London scouting mission in December 2004.

Prosecutors say the three men spent two days in the capital and visited a number of London Underground stations and tourist attractions.

The trial continues.

In pictures: 7/7 bombing CCTV clips
02 May 08 |  In Pictures
7/7 bomber says goodbye in video
10 Apr 08 |  England

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific