BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Tuesday, 18 March 2008, 10:16 GMT
Ten years for 'religious' rapist
By Daniel Sandford
BBC News home affairs correspondent

Abdul Makim Khalisadar
For nearly 18 months Khalisadar denied rape, before pleading guilty
An east London Muslim, who was well known for giving religious talks, has been jailed for 10 years for rape.

Abdul Makim Khalisadar pleaded guilty to raping a 27-year-old woman after forcing his way into her home in 2005.

Scotland Yard was originally examining Khalisadar's links to terrorist Kazi Nurur Rahman but the investigation did not lead to a terror arrest.

But DNA taken when the 26 year old was arrested for downloading child abuse images linked him to the rape.

Religious talks

After denying it for almost a year and a half, Khalisadar admitted raping the woman in Whitechapel, east London, in the early hours of 16 October 2005.

On Monday he was jailed for seven and a half years for the rape and two and a half years for perverting the course of justice, to run consecutively.

Khalisadar is unemployed but used to work as an assistant in a primary school teaching English and Maths.

He also worked with an anti-drug-and-violence project in east London's Brick Lane, and was well known for his religious talks.

Seven of Khalisadar's friends who last month admitted conspiracy to pervert the course of justice were each jailed for 12 months.

Belal Ahmed, 24, Tanbir Ahmed, 24, Mohammed Tahar Hussain, 25, Iqbal Hussain-Ali, 25, Tony Autier, 30, Thouhid Ahmed, 24, and Shaherul Islam Khan, 24 - all from East London - admit lying to the police in formal statements.

They claimed Khalisadar was giving a talk at the East London Mosque at the time of the rape.

TV appeal

The victim's ordeal began at around 0330 as she returned to her home.

She was accosted by Khalisadar who forced his way past her as she opened the door.

"I'm going to rape you," he said twice. She said she was pregnant with twins, which was not true but she was trying to stop the assault.

He forced her to perform a sex act, and threatened to kill her when she tried to escape. He held a knife to her throat, saying: "You love your Daddy."

Traces of his semen were found on the victim's body and clothes. She was also left with bruises on her arms, leg and face.

There was an appeal on the BBC's Crimewatch programme but the assault remained unsolved for almost a year.

DNA swab

In the meantime, Scotland Yard's counter-terrorism command was investigating Khalisadar's connection with Rahman, who was convicted in 2006 of trying to buy Uzi sub-machine guns for use by terrorists.

When Khalisadar was taken to a police station and swabbed for DNA, detectives discovered to their surprise that he was the man being sought for the rape.

At first he insisted the sex was consensual, then he concocted an alibi saying he had been giving a talk on repentance at the mosque that night.

It was the middle of Ramadan, and young men would often meet at the mosque through the night before eating their breakfast ahead of sunrise. His friends supported the alibi, but now admit they lied.

The DNA evidence was overwhelming and there was also technical evidence that his phone was used near the victim's flat at the time of the rape.

Eleven charges of possessing photographs of child abuse are not being proceeded with at present.


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific