BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Tuesday, 25 April, 2000, 17:25 GMT 18:25 UK
Police diners catch out racists
chinese restaurant
Chinese and Indian restaurateurs suffer alot of abuse
An undercover operation to stamp out racism among diners at Indian and Chinese restaurants has been hailed a success.

Pairs of plain-clothes officers joined other diners in Gloucestershire to observe their behaviour.

Operation Napkin saw one 51-year-old arrested and charged with racially aggravated harassment - although further attempts have failed to produce any more offenders.

Success

Chief Inspector Dean Walker from Gloucestershire police said the results proved the scheme had been a success and denied the lack of arrests meant racist incidents were not taking place.

He said: "This has been going on for years. That is what restaurateurs have told us, but now the police are doing something about it.

"Officers are not there to eavesdrop but to deal with racist behaviour if it happens."

Police plan to keep the operation going in different venues across the city.

Undercover surveillance will be mounted at weekends to coincide with pub closing.

Chief Insp Walker added: "We have no shortage of volunteers who are keen for a free meal."

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Links to other UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories