Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
Northern Ireland 
UK Politics 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
Tuesday, 4 April, 2000, 14:10 GMT 15:10 UK
Fiancée tried to save M25 stab victim
Kenneth Noye denies murdering Stephen Cameron
The fiancée of M25 stabbing victim Stephen Cameron tried to pull him away from fighting moments before he slumped to the floor dying, the Old Bailey has heard.

An eyewitness told the court Danielle Cable, was screaming for help for her fatally wounded boyfriend.

Kenneth Noye, 52, from Sevenoaks, Kent, has denied murdering Mr Cameron, 21, from Swanley, Kent, on May 19, 1996. He says he acted in self-defence.

Eyewitness Catherine Elliott told the court she remembered seeing Ms Cable jumping from the driver's side of a red van and pulling the taller of the two men away from the fight.

"He was stumbling, obviously in a very distressed state," Mrs Elliott said.

"He was holding his stomach, his arms outstretched. He was in dark clothing - there was a mass of wet which I assumed was blood."

She said the man got up and stumbled round the side of her car before falling down in front of the red van.

Mrs Elliott said she first saw two men fighting as her car approached traffic lights at the M25 Swanley interchange.

"They were fighting very close up to each other - arms up, heads bobbing up and down," she said.

There were vast amounts of blood. Even to an untrained eye, he was obviously very injured

Eyewitness Jonathan Saunders
She said that the second man disappeared after the girl pulled her fiancée away.

The prosecution says the fight started after Noye cut up the van driven by Mr Cameron's fiancée.

Noye allegedly killed Mr Cameron out of "anger and maybe pride" because the younger man was getting the upper hand in the ensuing fight.

A milk tanker driver who pulled over after seeing the fighting told the court he felt he had to do something.

"I thought it was getting out of hand," said Jonathan Saunders.

He told the court he saw one of the men on the ground while the other continued to hit him.

"The man on the floor did not get up," Mr Saunders said. "The person who was standing up seemed to carry on kicking him.

"I dialled 999. One of the gentlemen walked back to his vehicle. He drove away. As he passed, he appeared to be looking at me. It was the older man."

He said he went back to the red van to find a young man slumped on its offside.

"There were vast amounts of blood. Even to an untrained eye, he was obviously very injured," he told the court.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
See also:

03 Apr 00 | UK
M25 stab victim's 'shock'
Links to other UK stories are at the foot of the page.

E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories