Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
Northern Ireland 
UK Politics 
Talking Point 
In Depth 

The BBC's Stephen Cape
"Kenneth Noye has denied mudering the 21-year-old"
 real 28k

Monday, 3 April, 2000, 14:12 GMT 15:12 UK
M25 stab victim's 'shock'
court scene
Kenneth Noye denies murdering Mr Cameron
Motorway stabbing victim Stephen Cameron was horrified to see he was bleeding before he died of his injuries, a court heard.

Mr Cameron staggered in shock and confusion after being knifed, the Old Bailey was told.

It was apparent he had been severely wounded. The older man went back to his vehicle, got in and drove away

Witness Heather Titley
Kenneth Noye, 52, of Sevenoaks, Kent, has admitted the killing, but denies murder. He says he acted in self-defence.

The fight allegedly started after Noye, in a Land Rover Discovery, cut up the van driven by Mr Cameron's fiancee Danielle Cable.

At the start of the trial last week, prosecutor Julian Bevan QC said Cameron was unarmed when he was stabbed.

On Monday, witness Heather Titley told the court: "I was driving up the slip road when I saw two men apparently trading punches. It appeared the younger one was holding on to the jacket collar of the older. They were struggling with each other.

Noye "threw the first punch"
"The next thing I remember was the younger of the two appeared to stagger and look at his hand and saw blood.

"He put his hands out in front and looked shocked and confused and then went to the front of his red van."

Mrs Titley said she had then seen him on the ground. "It was apparent he had been severely wounded. The older man went back to his vehicle, got in and drove away."

Mrs Titley's husband, Stephen, told the court the fight was "very violent".

He said: "At some stage, the older guy turned and walked away. The younger man grabbed him and they again exchanged punches."

'Angry and fiery'

'Action of violence'

She described the younger as "angry and fiery".

Stephen Darling, who had been driving home, said he saw the older man throw the first punch.

"That was definitely the first action of violence when they met. The younger fellow was then getting the better of the older one. I saw him throw punches and kicking. The older bloke was backing off.

"I thought the older fellow got out to give the young one a clout, then the young one got the better of it. I thought `fair enough he deserves it'."

Another witness, Mary Parish told the court she saw Mr Cameron holding his stomach.

"I heard him say to his girlfriend `I have been stabbed.'

"I said to my boyfriend `Oh my God, stop - he has been stabbed.' I saw he was covered in blood. He lifted up his T-shirt and I saw blood.

"I jumped out to try and help him."

Gary Clarke, an off-duty police sergeant on his way to a chess tournament, said he was at the junction when two men were arguing and shouting.

"They were remonstrating with each other", he said. "They were gesticulating and aggressive. I think the argument just went into blows. They were fighting - kicking and punching each other.

"I remember the younger one kicking the older one. The initial exchange appeared to be even. It was obvious the younger was fitter."

He said he saw the younger kicking towards the groin area. The older manappeared to be out of puff.

"The older man was coming off worst."

The trial was adjourned until tomorrow.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
See also:

Links to other UK stories are at the foot of the page.

E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories