[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Wednesday, 30 May 2007, 20:18 GMT 21:18 UK
21/7 suspect shocked by arrests
Adel Yahya
Adel Yahya said he was a carpenter, a witness told the court
One of the suspects in the 21 July terror trial has said he felt "sick" when he found out his friend had been arrested over the alleged bomb plot.

Adel Yahya told Woolwich Crown Court he was shocked when he heard Yassin Omar had been detained by police.

He said he had no idea he might also be under suspicion.

Mr Yahya, Mr Omar, Manfo Asiedu, Muktar Ibrahim, Hussein Osman and Ramzi Mohammed deny conspiracy to murder and conspiracy to cause explosions.

The six are alleged to have taken part in an extremist Muslim plot to carry out a series of suicide bombings on the London transport system.

Rucksack devices

Mr Yahya said he was baffled when he learned Mr Omar had been arrested.

He told the court: "I just felt sick, I just felt shocked, I couldn't understand."

His barrister, Peter Thornton QC, asked him: "Did you consider that you yourself were in any way under suspicion?"

Mr Yahya replied: "Absolutely not."

When asked if he had done anything wrong Mr Yahya again replied "absolutely not".

He admitted making inquiries about hydrogen peroxide - which was used in the rucksack devices.

Ethiopia arrest

But he said Mr Omar had asked him to find out whether a cosmetics shop near his aunt's house stocked the chemical because he and Mr Asiedu were decorating an old house.

On two occasions in May and June 2005 Mr Yahya said he visited "Pak" in Finsbury Park, north London, and asked about peroxide.

He told the jury he did not buy any and had nothing to do with making bombs.

He also denied being part of an agreement or conspiracy to cause explosions or kill people and knew nothing about any such plot.

The court heard he left the UK on 11 June 2005 to go on holiday to Ethiopia with his wife.

I swear to God I had nothing to do with 21 July
Adel Yahya

On 29 November he was arrested in Ethiopia at the request of the British authorities and held in prison in Addis Ababa.

In December he was questioned by two Metropolitan Police officers who flew out to speak to him.

He said: "I told them that I will happily comply with any request they make of me.

"I was willing to give a statement right there and then."

On 19 December he left Ethiopia and was arrested on his arrival at Gatwick Airport.

Mr Yahya was asked about a number of items found by police in his one-bedroom flat in north London.

These included an audio cassette which contained the phrase, "Where there is jihad you need to know who to kill", the court heard.

He said the phrase was not familiar to him and that he thought the tape belonged to his flatmate, who slept in the lounge.

"I swear to God I had nothing to do with 21 July," Mr Yahya said.

The trial was adjourned until Thursday.

What the jury heard from Matthew Dixon

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific