[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Friday, 11 May 2007, 13:57 GMT 14:57 UK
11 Menezes police face no action
Jean Charles de Menezes
Mr Menezes was mistaken for a suicide bomber
Eleven officers involved in the shooting of Brazilian Jean Charles de Menezes will not face disciplinary action, the police watchdog has said.

They were among 15 Metropolitan Police officers interviewed by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).

Decisions have not been made on the four most senior officers investigated.

The family of Mr Menezes - shot eight times at Stockwell Tube station after being mistaken for a suicide bomber - said the decision was "disgraceful".

The 27-year-old was killed on 22 July 2005, one day after the failed London bombings.

The IPCC said a surveillance officer, one of the 11 not facing disciplinary action, would be given "management advice" in relation to action he took after the shooting.

It is a travesty of justice and another slap in the face for our family
Patricia da Silva Armani, Mr Menezes' cousin

It said a decision on whether the four commanders and tactical advisers investigated should be disciplined would be made after the end of court proceedings.

The Crown Prosecution Service previously found no evidence to warrant the prosecution of any individual over the shooting of Mr Menezes, an electrician.

However, Scotland Yard is facing prosecution under health and safety laws over the incident. The trial is due to start in October.

'Turmoil'

Patricia da Silva Armani, Mr Menezes' cousin, said: "It is a travesty of justice and another slap in the face for our family.

"The police officers' lives go on as normal while we exist in turmoil, fighting to get the answers and justice we deserve."

The Justice4Jean Campaign questioned the decision to clear the officers before the health and safety case is brought.

"This is entirely premature and, worse still, may potentially prejudice any future criminal proceedings," a spokesman said.

The grief and anger of his family is entirely understandable and - as I have been powerfully reminded - remains unassuaged
IPCC chairman Nick Hardwick

"This sends out the signal that no action against officers will ever be taken in this case, which is devastating for the family."

The Menezes family said they believed there were grounds for gross negligence manslaughter criminal charges against the four senior officers.

A spokeswoman, speaking on their behalf, said: "We hope ultimately that all the officers about whom evidence emerges of wrongdoing that led to this wrongful death are ultimately rendered fully accountable," the spokeswoman added.

'Challenging circumstances'

The IPCC's chairman, Nick Hardwick, said he understood the feelings of Mr Menezes' family.

"The grief and anger of his family is entirely understandable and - as I have been powerfully reminded - remains unassuaged," he said.

"I would not do anything lightly that adds to that grief or anger."

But he said although Mr Menezes was "entirely innocent" there was "no realistic prospect" of disciplinary charges being upheld against the firearms or surveillance officers involved, including the two officers directly responsible for the fatal shooting .

They were facing the "challenge" of the wake of the 7/7 London bombings, he added.

The human rights group, Liberty, condemned the delay in deciding whether the more senior officers should be punished.

The Metropolitan Police welcomed the IPCC recommendation but said the shooting of Mr Menezes was "a matter of very deep regret" to the service and said its thoughts were "with his family".

A spokesman added: "There is no doubt that the events of July 2005 brought significant challenges to the Met and during this time many officers operated under difficult and dangerous conditions to protect London and Londoners."



VIDEO AND AUDIO NEWS
The Menezes' family solicitor on their "shock"





FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific