[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Wednesday, 25 April 2007, 18:07 GMT 19:07 UK
Trio 'linked to terrorist films'
Frame from video seized in Bosnia

Three men helped to distribute films of beheadings and bomb-making instructions to be used for attacks on non-Muslims, a court has heard.

One of the young al-Qaeda followers was told to think about the suicide bombers in Iraq his online terrorist propaganda was inspiring, the court heard.

Younes Tsouli, 23, is one of three accused of distributing the films.

Mr Tsouli and Tariq Al-Daour, 21, both from west London, and Waseem Mughal, 24, from Kent, all deny terror charges.

Mr Tsouli told co-defendant Mr Mughal that he wanted to "stand in the trenches" in Iraq, Woolwich Crown Court heard.

'Media work'

Prosecutor Mark Ellison told the jury that in an online chat Mr Tsouli told Mr Mughal: "It sucks we are here and not there. But I suppose someone has to be here."

But Mr Mughal urged him to continue with his "media work" as it was "very, very important".

The footage is alleged to have included terrorist beheadings, bomb-making instructions and terrorism handbooks.

Mr Ellison said that Mr Mughal added: "A lot of the funding that the brothers are getting is coming because of the videos. Imagine how many have gone (to Iraq) after seeing the videos. Imagine how many have become shahid (martyrs)."

The prosecutor said Mr Tsouli, who holds a Moroccan passport, had recently been granted indefinite leave to remain in the UK at the time of his arrest.

What was it that brought the defendants and Bektasevic together? What was the common interest between them?
Prosecutor Mark Ellison

In emails and chat room conversations, Mr Tsouli and Mr Mughal talked about the financial difficulties involved in constantly setting up new sites as others were "killed off", the jury heard.

Mr Tsouli told Mr Mughal he had been asked by "AQ", an acronym for al-Qaeda said Mr Ellison, to translate their official "e-book" into English.

The court also heard two men arrested in Bosnia for possessing a video thought to be a blueprint for attacks on "non-believers" in countries which had sent troops to Iraq may have been in contact with the men.

'Mujahideen badge'

One of those arrested in Bosnia, 21-year-old Swede Mirsad Bektasevic, had the men saved in a "buddy list" on his computer which allowed him to carry out encrypted conversations with them.

Mr Ellison said: "So what was it that brought the defendants and Bektasevic together? What was the common interest between them?"

He said messages obtained from Mr Tsouli's computer related to the design of a "mujahideen badge" needed before the anniversary of the 11 September attacks.

These boys are prepared to attack and Inshallah, God willing, they will attack Kuffar (non-believers)
Quote from video heard by jury

When Bektasevic was arrested in house near Sarajevo in October 2005, authorities found 18kg of explosives, electrical wiring, timing devices and detonators and a suicide bomber's belt loaded with explosives, the jury was told.

The jury was also shown the video officers recovered from the same house.

On the video, a voice was heard to say: "Here are the boys preparing for the attacks.

"They are showing us the stuff they are going to use for the attack. These boys are prepared to attack and Inshallah, God willing, they will attack Kuffar (non-believers) who are killing our brothers and Muslims in Iraq, in Afghanistan, Chechnya and many other countries."

The three men deny charges under the 2000 Terrorism Act of possessing documents or records likely to be useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism.

The case continues.


SEE ALSO



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific