[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Friday, 2 February 2007, 16:41 GMT
Images of 'bomb factory' released
The alleged bomb factory
The images show inside a flat in New Southgate, north London

Photographs showing the inside of the alleged 21 July bomb factory have been released by police.

The images show inside the flat in a north London tower block where the alleged plotters are said to have manufactured rucksack bombs.

One of the images shows "corrosion" on a cooker, while another shows the residue of a yellowish substance on the shelf of a furniture unit.

Six men deny conspiracy to murder and conspiracy to cause explosions.

Other photographs from inside the Curtis House flat in New Southgate, north London, which have been shown to the jury at Woolwich Crown Court, show a bottle of peroxide and a five-litre glass Pyrex laboratory bottle.

The alleged plotters are accused of using the flat to manufacture their rucksack bombs with a mix of hydrogen peroxide and chapatti flour.

Earlier, the jury at Woolwich Crown Court heard how one of the alleged 21 July terror plotters joked that he would convert a man to Islam before the man converted him to Christianity.

Caretaker William Sarpong told the court that he and Yassin Omar discussed religion regularly.

Inside of 'bomb factory'

Mr Sarpong, who works at the London tower block where the alleged bomb factory was based, said they joked about who would convert the other.

Mr Sarpong told the court: "I'm a Christian and he's a Muslim so whenever we meet we speak like who is going to convert the other first."

Under cross examination by Peter Carter QC, for Mr Omar, he added that the two men's discussions were good-humoured.

Mr Sarpong told the jury that he considered Mr Omar to be a friend and that he had lent him a wheelbarrow.

"As he was my friend I just gave it out to him without asking what he needed it for," he said.

It is claimed Mr Omar lived at the alleged bomb factory address at Curtis House.

Men 'recognised'

Mr Sarpong went on to tell the court that he saw photographs of three men he thought he recognised on TV, one day after the alleged attacks.

This was after he had noticed a large communal bin at the tower block had been filled within a few hours and he had seen bin bags nearby containing empty plastic bottles, he told the court.

When watching the news on TV, he recognised one of the suspects wanted by police as Yassin Omar and another as Muktar Ibrahim, who he said was a friend of Mr Omar.

Mr Sarpong said he had mistaken the identity of the third man he recognised after thinking it was someone he knew as George - a man whom he had been introduced to by Mr Omar.

The caretaker contacted police, told them about the rubbish and attended an ID parade in August 2005.

He picked out Mr Omar, Mr Ibrahim and Manfo Asiedu - who the court was told also goes by the name George.

All six men accused in the plot - Hussein Osman, Ramzi Mohammed, Adel Yahya, Muktar Ibrahim, Manfo Asiedu and Yassin Omar - deny attempting to bomb London's transport network on 21 July 2005.

The trial continues.

Suspects




RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific