Mohamed Al Fayed is to challenge the decision not to have a jury at the inquests into the deaths of his son Dodi and Diana Princess of Wales.
Mohamed Al Fayed wants a jury at the inquest
The Harrods owner is seeking a Judicial Review of coroner Lady Butler-Sloss's decision to sit without a jury.
She announced earlier this month that she wants the inquests to take place in the spring.
The next preliminary hearing is due to take place at the High Court in London on Monday, 5 March.
A spokesman for Mr Al Fayed said: "In particular, Mr Al Fayed will challenge Lady Butler-Sloss's decision to hear the inquests without the aid of a jury of ordinary men and women.
"In a case that is unique in the annals of English law, Mr Al Fayed believes the decision of the coroner not to empanel a jury is perverse."
In her ruling, Lady Butler-Sloss said only a coroner could give the "careful and fully reasoned decision" the inquests required.
She has asked for any challenges to her decision to be made quickly because she wants the full inquests to start in May.
But Mr Al Fayed's legal challenge could delay her schedule.
Princes William and Harry have previously expressed a desire to end the controversy surrounding the princess's death.
The princess, Dodi Al Fayed, and driver Henri Paul died when their Mercedes crashed in the Pont de l'Alma tunnel in Paris on 31 August 1997.
They were being pursued by photographers after leaving the Ritz Hotel for Mr Al Fayed's apartment.
A three-year investigation by former Metropolitan Police chief Lord Stevens found no evidence of a conspiracy to murder the couple, and said the deaths were a "tragic accident".