[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Thursday, 25 January 2007, 19:40 GMT
Accused 'caused Tube train panic'
Suspect on Tube platform
CCTV showed Yassin Omar fleeing the station

More than 300 passengers fled a Tube train in terror after a man tried to set off a rucksack bomb on 21 July 2005, a court has been told.

They screamed and banged on the train window as it pulled into Warren Street station, Woolwich Crown Court heard.

The jury also heard from a woman who found herself staring into the eyes of another of the alleged would-be bombers on a Tube heading for Shepherd's Bush.

Six men deny conspiracy to murder and conspiracy to cause explosions.

They are Manfo Asiedu, Muktar Ibrahim, Hussein Osman, Yassin Omar, Ramzi Mohammed and Adel Yahya.

On day nine of their trial, CCTV footage was released showing Mr Omar pushing past crowds, running up the escalator and jumping over the ticket barriers at Warren Street station.

Several passengers described an acrid burning smell which they thought was a bomb, and others said Mr Omar had a hole in the back of his shirt.

Contents of the failed bomb
Contents of an alleged failed bomb were left on a Tube train

Train manager David Johnson told the court he had been standing on the platform as the train pulled in just after 1230 BST.

"I could see that all the passengers were on their feet," he said.

"They were all trying to get out of the second carriage and were banging on the windows of the train.

"A mad rush ensued and there were approximately 300 people running over each other to get out."

The court also heard statements from some of the passengers.

Karolin Starzymska had been sitting in the same carriage as Mr Omar and felt lots of sand hit her in the face and smelt burning, the court heard.

She said she saw Mr Omar jump in the air when the explosion went off and then run away from a rucksack oozing with a sticky yellow substance.

Another passenger, Ashish Moraji, said he saw Mr Omar "frantically shaking himself down" after detonating the alleged bomb.

"People were screaming because they thought it (the explosion) was going to go off again," he said in his statement.

'Ran to cafe'

After Mr Omar fled the station, he ran to the Granby Grill cafe and asked chef Cumhur Mehmet for a glass of water, the court heard.

He threw it over his face and told the chef there had been a bomb scare at Warren Street station, Mr Mehmet said.

Specialist police officers who investigated the train following the incident found a gelatinous mass on the floor of the second carriage, the court heard.

Next to it lay a rucksack containing two shirts, deodorant, aftershave and a DVD of the comedy film, Meet the Fockers.

It felt like I was staring at him and he was staring at me for a long time
Ann Coyne

The jury heard Mr Omar's fingerprints were on all the items.

Forensics expert Kim Simpson examined the remains of the device at the scene wearing two layers of gloves.

But after leaving there, her skin was stinging from what appeared to be a peroxide burn, she said

The court also heard an account from bank manager Ann Coyne who had been travelling with her mother-in-law, Evelyn, on the Hammersmith and City Line on 21 July 2005.

She described how a small explosion sent a man wearing a rucksack flying towards the ceiling.

He landed at her feet and looked stunned, she said.

"It felt like I was staring at him and he was staring at me for a long time but obviously it wasn't."

21/7 suspects

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific