[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Friday, 5 January 2007, 09:14 GMT
Boy dies in hotel electrocution
A beach in Phuket
The British boy died in the accident on Saturday
A British boy has died after being electrocuted in a hotel room at a beach resort in Phuket, Thailand.

Connor Dean O'Keefe, aged seven, is believed to have been killed when he plugged his Game Boy in at a room at the Sunset Beach Resort on Saturday.

Local police believe he plugged in the handheld console while still wet after swimming, causing the accident.

His mother told the Daily Mirror he knew the dangers of electricity and was "definitely" not wet when electrocuted.

Reports suggest the child was found by his mother and stepfather after the incident, which happened during a family holiday.

He wouldn't mess around with plugs and he definitely was not wet
Kathleen Patricia Curry

Kathleen Patricia Curry, 45, and David Skinner, 49, are said to have found their son slumped on the floor of the room.

Ms Curry told the newspaper: "My son was only unplugging his Game Boy. He knew about the dangers of electricity and was not stupid.

"He wouldn't mess around with plugs and he definitely was not wet."

And she called for some sort of warning about different electrical systems abroad.

Meanwhile, Connor's sister Maria told the paper he had bought the Game Boy in Thailand.

'Tragic accident'

"Obviously there has to be a question over the safety of the electrics in the hotel," she said.

However, she conceded that this was "something that still has to be properly looked into".

Acting hotel manager Wiraporn Ungathakorn said he feared that a combination of water and electricity led to an electric shock which proved fatal, according to reports.

He said: "The water must have gone straight into the plug. The safety cut could not save him.

"He was found by his parents in the room and we sent him to hospital by ambulance."

The acting manager added: "Doctors could not save him. The hotel has paid his medical fees. This was just a tragic accident."

Tsunami aftermath

These sentiments were echoed by Police Lieutenant Colonel Sopol Borirak, who said "no blame" had been attached to the death as "it was an accident".

The Foreign Office said it was unable to comment on the boy's death.

The child's parents are thought to have returned to the UK with his body on Thursday.

The 95-room resort is in an area that was badly affected by the Tsunami two years ago.

It has since been repaired and visitor numbers have improved.

However, local authorities fear that such incidents may affect tourism.




RELATED BBC LINKS

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific