[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Sunday, 3 December 2006, 19:22 GMT
Barrymore 'does not fear inquiry'
Michael Barrymore
Michael Barrymore's career faltered after Mr Lubbock's death

Entertainer Michael Barrymore has said he has nothing to fear from a new police inquiry into the death of a man at his home in March 2001.

He said he had to endure "extraordinary and preposterous" allegations, but there was "no question" of him being guilty of any criminal offence.

Police are reinvestigating the death of Stuart Lubbock, 31, of Harlow, Essex, after a review of the original inquiry.

Mr Barrymore said he hoped the new probe would finally bring "closure".

Mr Lubbock was found by emergency services by a pool at Mr Barrymore's home in nearby Roydon in 2001. He was later found to have severe internal injuries.

No-one has ever been charged with any offence relating to the death.

This issue must be concluded for everybody's sake so that we can all carry on with our lives
Michael Barrymore

A coroner recorded an open verdict at an inquest into Mr Lubbock's death in September 2002.

Mr Barrymore said: "I've been asking for years for this to be done. I'm willing to do all I can to bring this matter to a correct and proper closure.

"This issue must be concluded for everybody's sake so that we can all carry on with our lives. It has been five-and-a-half years so far and five-and-a-half years too long."

'Unsolved case'

Mr Barrymore said he was "particularly pleased" about the decision for the sake of Mr Lubbock's father, Terry, who has mounted a campaign for his son's death to be reinvestigated.

"This will clear my name," he said. "I hope the investigation does that.

"Otherwise... that's totally unfair. On me and it's totally unfair on the Lubbock family and everybody else concerned."

Mr Lubbock said: "The fight will go on until the truth emerges and people are arrested and sat in the court and then my job will be over."

Mr Barrymore, 54, who accepted an official caution for drug offences during the original police investigation, was sacked by ITV in 2002 in the wake of Mr Lubbock's death.

Stuart Lubbock
No-one has been charged in relation to Stuart Lubbock's death

On the night he died, Mr Lubbock had been among a number of people invited to a party at Mr Barrymore's home.

A post-mortem examination revealed Mr Lubbock had suffered severe internal injuries, suggesting he may have been the victim of a serious sexual assault before his death.

Alcohol, ecstasy and cocaine were found in his bloodstream.

Mr Barrymore left the UK for a period of self-imposed exile in New Zealand in 2003.

He returned to take part in Channel 4's Celebrity Big Brother earlier this year, finishing runner-up to fake celebrity Chantelle Houghton.

Police began a routine review of the original investigation in April and confirmed the new investigation on Saturday.

A spokeswoman would not say whether detectives had any plans to reinterview Mr Barrymore or whether he had already been reinterviewed.




SEE ALSO
Barrymore admits suicide thoughts
07 Oct 06 |  Entertainment



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific