[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Thursday, 12 October 2006, 16:41 GMT 17:41 UK
Royals unveil Bali bombs memorial
Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall inspect the memorial
The sculpture is covered in individually carved doves
The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall have unveiled a permanent memorial in central London to the 202 victims of the Bali bombings.

The ceremony, attended by relatives and friends of the 28 Britons killed and survivors, took place on the fourth anniversary of the attacks.

The sculpture at Clive Steps opposite St James's Park comprises a marble globe with 202 carved doves.

The names of the victims were read out and a minute's silence was observed.

The names are also carved into a stone wall behind the globe.

UK Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell, the minister responsible for co-ordinating support for relatives of the victims of terrorism abroad, read out the names of the British victims.

It was an attack on a faraway place that brought grief and horror back home
Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell

The government was also represented by the Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett.

The names of the others who were killed were read out by diplomatic representatives from each of the 21 other nations whose citizens died.

Eighty-eight Australians were among those killed and victims also came from Indonesia, Germany, Switzerland, Portugal, Italy, Poland, Greece, the US and Japan.

Ms Jowell told those gathered: "It was an attack on a faraway place that brought grief and horror back home.

"Grief and horror to all of you that are here today and also to so many others all around the world."

Archbishop's message

The royal couple led the laying of wreaths at the base of the monument's wall, and a message sent by the Archbishop of Canterbury to the families of the British victims was read out.

Dr Rowan Williams paid tribute to the efforts of the UK Bali Bombing Victims' Group in securing the memorial.

He said the families had showed a "positive response to trauma and evil".

The memorial, which took nine months to complete, is located close to the Foreign Office building.

Susanna Miller, 39, who lost her brother, Dan, in the bombings said it was hoped the memorial would serve as a reminder to the public and the government of the potential dangers of foreign travel.

Mourners on the Indonesian island have also been marking the anniversary.

Death sentences

The bombings have been blamed on the South East Asian militant group Jemaah Islamiah - as was another attack in the same part of Bali last year, which killed 20 people.

Indonesia has arrested more than 300 terrorist suspects since the attacks in 2002, and has tried more than two thirds of them.

Three men sentenced to death for their part in the bombings - Amrozi, Mukhlas and Imam Samudra - are in the process of a final appeal against their sentences.

Another suspected ringleader, Azahari Husin, has been killed.


SEE ALSO
Bali marks 2002 bomb anniversary
12 Oct 06 |  Asia-Pacific

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites



FEATURES, VIEWS, ANALYSIS
Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit

PRODUCTS & SERVICES

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific