"Lessons to be learned" from the fatal shooting of Jean Charles de Menezes are contained in a report sent to Scotland Yard, the police watchdog says.
The Menezes family has run a campaign since the fatal shooting
The Independent Police Complaints Commission's recommendations are part of its inquiry into the innocent man's shooting at Stockwell Tube last July.
The Crown Prosecution Service says it hopes to decide by Easter whether any officers will face criminal charges.
And the Tories says Sir Ian Blair should resign if he is not exonerated.
Shadow Home Secretary David Davis said if the report into the case did not clear him, his position would be untenable.
The report's contents are not being disclosed while the CPS is considering whether to bring criminal charges against the police involved in the shooting.
The report has been sent to the CPS and to the Metropolitan Police Authority to enable them to make any changes to operational procedures without having to wait for the IPCC's findings to be made public.
The publication could be years away as any criminal matters have to be resolved first and an inquest into Mr Menezes' death still has to be held.
The 27-year-old was shot seven times in the head by armed officers from the Metropolitan Police after being mistaken for a suicide bomber the day after the alleged attempted bombings on 21 July last year.
Copies of the IPCC report into his death have also been sent to the home secretary, the Inner South London Coroner John Sampson and to Her Majesty's Chief Inspector of Constabulary, Sir Ronnie Flanagan.
Meanwhile, the Conservatives have said London's police chief Sir Ian Blair will have to resign if he is not exonerated over the handling of the death.
Sir Ian's handling of the aftermath of last July's mistaken shooting of the unarmed Brazilian by firearms officers has been criticised.
Shadow Home Secretary David Davis told BBC News he had "a simple message".
"That people have been questioning his judgement and now it's very, very important the IPCC exonerates him of the charges against him," he said.
"If they don't, I'm afraid his position is untenable."
On Monday Sir Ian apologised for secretly recording private phone calls.
The Metropolitan police commissioner expressed regret for recording calls with the attorney general, a journalist and the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).
The recorded conversation with Attorney General Lord Goldsmith took place last September, when he and Sir Ian discussed the admissibility of wiretap evidence in court, but it did not concern a particular case.
Sir Ian said he taped the call because he had wanted a record of the complex conversation they were having, and did not have a note taker.
On learning this weekend that his conversation had been recorded, Lord Goldsmith was said to be "rather cross" and "somewhat disappointed".
On Monday, his spokesman said Sir Ian's apology had been accepted and the matter was now closed.
An IPCC spokesman said the taped conversations - including one with chairman Nick Hardwick - came to light as part of its inquiry into the aftermath of the shooting of Mr Menezes.
A statement later confirmed Mr Hardwick had accepted a personal apology from Sir Ian.
Prime Minister Tony Blair's spokesman has said he has "full confidence" in Sir Ian.