The court case against the Metropolitan Police over the shooting of Jean Charles de Menezes has been adjourned as police needed more time to prepare.
Mr Menezes was mistaken for a suspected suicide bomber
The Office of the Metropolitan Police Commissioner has been charged with health and safety breaches over the shooting on 22 July, 2005.
Mr Menezes was shot eight times after he was mistaken for a suicide bomber.
The Crown Prosecution Service last month said there was insufficient evidence to charge individual officers.
The charges against the Met as an organisation are being sought under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.
It was accused of breaching its duties owed to non-employees over the shooting at Stockwell Tube station on July 22 2005.
Met gets more time
Following the short hearing at City of Westminster Magistrates' Court on Monday, the force was given five more weeks to consider the evidence against it.
Mark Scoggins, the solicitor advocate, said the Met needed more time before it could enter a plea.
He said: "We have moved with all due speed in the last four weeks, but we need further time to arrive at our destination and a considered position on the plea."
Speaking outside the court, Commander Simon Foy, said: "This is our first appearance in this case and we have asked for more time to consider the evidence and the allegation.
"The court has given us this time and we will go away and do just that."
Mr Menezes was shot seven times in the head and once in the shoulder at Stockwell station by police in the aftermath of the failed 21 July 2005 bomb attacks on the Underground.