Complaints from staff at Clarence House prompted the investigation
Two men have been charged with intercepting phone messages after an investigation was sparked by complaints from Royal Family staff members.
News of the World royal editor Clive Goodman, 48, and Glenn Mulcaire, 35, both from south London, have been bailed to appear in court on 16 August.
They are accused of accessing voicemail messages on eight occasions between January and August this year.
They were also charged with conspiring to intercept communications.
Scotland Yard said the pair would appear at Horseferry Road Magistrates' Court.
Mr Goodman, from Putney, and Mr Mulcaire, from Sutton, were arrested at their home addresses on Tuesday.
A 50-year-old man from Sutton was also arrested but was released without charge.
Police said he had been bailed pending further inquiries.
Complaints by staff at Clarence House, the official residence to the Prince of Wales, prompted the investigation and led to the arrests.
Detectives searched several business premises as part of their investigation - including the east London offices of News International, which owns the News of the World.
The charges, under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000, relate to alleged interceptions on 3 January, 24 February, 20 March, 28 April, 8, 15, 23 and 30 May.
The conspiracy charge, under the Criminal Law Act, relates to conspiring on or before 9 August, 2006.