[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Tuesday, 26 July 2005, 11:50 GMT 12:50 UK
Fear for Britons missing in Egypt
Lesley Ayers (L) and Valerie Bracci
Among the missing are Lesley Ayers (L) and her mother, Valerie Bracci
Families of Britons missing after the bombing of Sharm al-Sheikh have begun flying out to the Egyptian resort.

One Briton who died in Saturday's attacks has been named as Keri Davies, 29, of Fareham, Hampshire.

Concerns are growing for his American partner, Kristina Miller, 26, who remains unaccounted for.

Hospital officials say the death toll could reach 88. UK officials say 10 Britons are missing and "of particular concern", but not presumed dead.

Mr Davies' mother said the Foreign Office had confirmed his death.

And his father said: "We knew he had been missing and hadn't heard from him and we feared the worst.

"But hearing the news still rips something out of you.

'Glimmer of hope'

"It was only a couple of days since Kristina's birthday and they were just days away from emigrating to Australia. They had their futures in front of them."

Miss Miller and Mr Davies, who were staying at the Ghazala Gardens hotel, were taking a holiday before moving to Australia.

Kristina Miller's father Tony travelled to Egypt after failing to hear from his daughter following the blasts.

Among the missing are Alan and Mandy Bentley, from Grantham, Lincolnshire, as well as their son David and his friend who they were on holiday with.

Alan and Mandy Bentley
Mr and Mrs Bentley were on holiday with their son and his friend

Mr Bentley's sister-in-law, Claire, said: "It's an absolute nightmare for us. We just don't know what to do.

"We're just living in hope that somebody might have seen them, or they might have spoken to somebody, they may have gone on a trip anywhere.

"We're just hoping and just holding on to that, a glimmer of hope."

The British ambassador to Egypt, Sir Derek Plumbly, said the families of most of the missing were in touch with the embassy and several had flown to the resort.

Sir Derek is working with a 40-strong team to try to establish how many Britons died in the blasts.

He said: "We have been working through a list of people who we have been told by tour companies or families that they have been out of touch or unaccounted for or whatever."

Among the missing are British couple Jeremy Lakin, 28, and Annalie Vickers, 31, who had been staying at the Hyatt Regency Hotel.

The couple's parents, said to be "terribly distressed", flew out to the resort late on Sunday to search for their children.

Mr Lakin, originally from Nottingham, and Ms Vickers, from Northampton, had been out on the last evening of their week-long holiday when the bombers struck.

Another two Britons, who were staying at the Ghazala Gardens hotel, have not been seen since it was devastated by one of the bombs.

Keri Davies, Kristina Miller
Mr Davies and Ms Miller were hoping to start a new life in Australia

Lesley Ayers, 50, and her mother Valerie Bracci, 70, both from Essex, have not been in touch with family since the bombings, and did not turn up for their flight home on Sunday.

Mrs Ayers' daughter Elizabeth Thein said: "I have been trying my mum's mobile phone constantly, but it just keeps going through to voice mail.

"We are so worried about them both and just need to know what has happened to them."

Mrs Bracci's sons have flown over to Egypt to help in the search for them.

Eight Britons were wounded in the attacks, including a girl aged 14 and a 30-year-old man, who were both critically injured.

I've never been so scared
Sandra Hardcastle
eyewitness

Hannah Lloyd, 16, from Malvern, and sister Georgina, 14, were caught up in the blast at Sharm al-Sheikh, along with their mother Heidi.

Hannah, who is in a critical condition, suffered such severe burns that she was airlifted to hospital in Cairo before being flown back to England.

Georgina is still in Sharm al-Sheikh infirmary with leg wounds, although she is due to fly back to the UK within the next few days.

Foreign Secretary Jack Straw said there was no evidence of a link between the Egyptian blasts and those in London, but he said he could not rule it out.

He refused to advise against travelling to the country, saying: "We are already warning about a high risk of terrorism in Egypt."

Egypt Tourism Minister Ahmed El Maghreby told BBC News security procedures in Sharm al-Sheikh were being revised.

  • Concerned relatives of tourists should call the hotline: 020 7008 0000.





  • BBC NEWS: VIDEO AND AUDIO
    The family of a missing Briton speak of their ordeal




    PRODUCTS AND SERVICES

    News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
    UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
    Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
    Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific