The family of a Brazilian man shot dead by police hunting the men behind London's attempted bomb attacks have told of their anger and disbelief.
Jean Charles de Menezes (far right), pictured with friends
Jean Charles de Menezes's grandmother said there "was no reason to think he was a terrorist".
Met Police chief Sir Ian Blair has apologised for the killing of the 27-year-old electrician at Stockwell Tube station on Friday.
Brazil's foreign minister is seeking an explanation from Jack Straw.
The family's comments came after Scotland Yard confirmed Mr Menezes, who lived in Brixton, south London, was completely unconnected to Thursday's bomb attacks across London.
Elsewhere two men have been arrested after bombers targeted three Tube trains and a bus in the failed attacks.
Police also said a suspect package found in north-west London on Saturday may be linked to those attacks.
His family are struggling to come to terms with the circumstances surrounding Mr Menezes' death.
His cousin, Alex Alves Pereira, from London, told the BBC: "Apologies are not enough. I believe my cousin's death was result of police incompetence."
Describing his cousin as a "person full of life" he said his cousin was "a victim of government's mistakes."
He told Brazil's O Globo television: "He does not have a past that would make him run from police."
Mr Menezes' grandmother, Zilda Ambrosia de Figueiredo, told Globo TV "there was no reason to think he was a terrorist".
"He was very easy going and very communicative with everyone."
Sir Ian Blair told Sky News: "This is a tragedy. The Metropolitan Police accepts full responsibility for this. To the family I can only express my deep regrets."
Brazil's foreign minister Celso Amorim will be demanding further explanations when he meets the foreign secretary in London later on Sunday.
In a statement Brazil's government said it "looks forward to receiving the necessary explanation from the British authorities on the circumstances which led to this tragedy".
The shooting is being investigated by officers from Scotland Yard's Directorate of Professional Standards, and will be referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.
JEAN CHARLES DE MENEZES
Born 07/01/78, a Brazilian national
Originally from the town of Gonzaga, 500 miles northeast of Sao Paulo in the south-eastern state of Minas Gerais in Brazil
Lived in Brixton, London for three years, working as an electrician
Mr Menezes' cousin Mr Pereira said the 27-year-old was from the town of Gonzaga in Minas Gerais state, and had lived in London legally for at least three years and spoke excellent English.
The BBC's correspondent in Brazil, Tom Gibb, said Mr Menezes had lived for a time in a slum district of Sao Paulo and that could explain why he had run from the police.
He said: "The murder rates in some of these slums are worse than in a lot of war zones and that could explain why, when plain clothes officers pulled a gun on him, he may have run away."
Gésio César D'avila, a friend and colleague, said Mr Menezes had considered alternative transport after the failed attacks on 21 July.
"We were together on Thursday, and when we saw what happened, Jean said he wanted to buy a motorbike to avoid the tube," he said.
Mr Menezes had come out of a house in Tulse Hill, south London, which had been under police surveillance because of a suspected link to Thursday's attempted bombings.
Police said Mr Menezes' clothing and behaviour added to their suspicions.
After leaving the house he caught a bus to Stockwell Tube, where officers told him to stop.
He then ran down an escalator and tried to board a train before being shot, witnesses say. Civil rights groups have called for a full inquiry.
Meanwhile Dr Azzam Tamimi, from the Muslim Association of Britain, told BBC News the police should review their procedures.
"It is human lives that are being targeted whether by terrorists or whether in this case unfortunately by people who are supposed to be chasing or catching the terrorists."
Government minister Peter Hain said the threat of suicide bombings had put police under "enormous pressure", but added that they were acting responsibly.
London mayor Ken Livingstone said: "The police acted to do what they believed necessary to protect the lives of the public.
"This tragedy has added another victim to the toll of deaths for which the terrorists bear responsibility."
A package was found by a member of the public in bushes in Little Wormwood Scrubs on Saturday morning.
Officers raided a house in Streatham on Saturday
A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "An initial examination suggests that the object may be linked to devices found at four locations in London on July 21."
Police said it would be subject to "detailed forensic analysis".
Police have also raided a house in Streatham Hill, south London, in connection with the failed attacks.
Meanwhile the News of the World newspaper has offered a £100,000 reward to catch the second wave of London bombers.
1: Witnesses report seeing up to 20 plain clothes police officers chase a man into Stockwell Tube station from the street
2: One person says the man vaulted the automatic ticket barriers as he made his way to the platforms
3: The most direct route is via this escalator or the staircase that sits alongside it
4: Police challenge the man but he apparently refuses to obey instructions and after running onto a northbound Northern line train, he is shot dead