Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point

In Depth

On Air

Archive
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Sunday, October 3, 1999 Published at 14:31 GMT 15:31 UK


UK

Fears grow for Kosovo Britons

The men were leaving Prisina bound for London

Concern is growing for the safety of two British television company workers who have been missing in Kosovo for more than a week.

K-For troops and the UN mission in Pristina have carried out searches for TV engineer Kenneth Suckling, 53, and driver James Free, 33, who were last seen leaving the city on 25 September.


The BBC's Damian Grammaticas:"The men had spent two weeks in Kosovo"
The pair, who work for UK-based SNG Broadcast Services, had been in Pristina for two weeks and were about to embark on the first leg of their journey back to London.

They had been working on a project to set up a public service TV station in the province's capital.

Both are highly experienced in working abroad and were equipped with mobile phones that worked in the region.

Telephone silence

A company spokesman said: "We are extremely concerned that we have heard nothing from these two men for over a week, and we appeal to anyone who may be able to help trace them."

Mr Suckling, from Portsmouth, and Mr Free, from London, were planning to drive through Macedonia to Thessaloniki in Greece, then on to London, the spokesman said.

Officials are trying to establish whether the pair crossed over into Macedonia.

He said: "We would have expected them to be in contact several times a day but we have heard nothing.

"They both have the means to communicate but they have not done so at all.

"We are just very concerned, we just do not know what has happened to them."

No evidence of abduction

A Foreign Office spokeswoman said that two Britons were missing and efforts were being made to trace them.

"We are engaged in trying to find them. We have notified Interpol and we have made contact with other people in the region such as K-For and the UN mission police who have carried out a thorough search.

"K-For has also carried out a ground and air search of the roads leading south from Pristina.

"At the moment, there is no evidence to suggest they have been abducted.

"There has been no contact from anyone claiming to hold them."

The partner of one of the missing men had been informed but officials are still trying to contact the family of the other man.





Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


UK Contents

Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales
England

Relevant Stories

30 Sep 99 | Europe
'Tough winter' ahead for Kosovo

30 Jul 99 | Europe
Special report - Rebuilding the Balkans

13 Jul 99 | Europe
Spotlight on rebuilding Kosovo





Internet Links


United Nations in Kosovo

Foreign Office

SNG Broadcast Services


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Next steps for peace

Blairs' surprise over baby

Bowled over by Lord's

Beef row 'compromise' under fire

Hamilton 'would sell mother'

Industry misses new trains target

From Sport
Quins fightback shocks Cardiff

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

IRA ceasefire challenge rejected

Thousands celebrate Asian culture

From Sport
Christie could get two-year ban

From Entertainment
Colleagues remember Compo

Mother pleads for baby's return

Toys withdrawn in E.coli health scare

From Health
Nurses role set to expand

Israeli PM's plane in accident

More lottery cash for grassroots

Pro-lifers plan shock launch

Double killer gets life

From Health
Cold 'cure' comes one step closer

From UK Politics
Straw on trial over jury reform

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Ex-spy stays out in the cold

From UK Politics
Blair warns Livingstone

From Health
Smear equipment `misses cancers'

From Entertainment
Boyzone star gets in Christmas spirit

Fake bubbly warning

Murder jury hears dead girl's diary

From UK Politics
Germ warfare fiasco revealed

Blair babe triggers tabloid frenzy

Tourists shot by mistake

A new look for News Online