Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point

In Depth

On Air

Archive
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Monday, September 20, 1999 Published at 18:48 GMT 19:48 UK


UK

Three guilty of Jamie murder

Police described the three as "very violent young men"

Three teenagers have been convicted of the murder of 17-year-old Jamie Robe, who was beaten to death on a south London housing estate two years ago.

Aaron Cole, 19, James Pearce, 19, and David Huggins, 18, were remanded at the Old Bailey for pre-sentence reports. All face indefinite terms behind bars.

Steven Plank, 18, and a juvenile who cannot be named for legal reasons, were cleared.


[ image: Jamie: 20 different injuries]
Jamie: 20 different injuries
All five defendants, who are all from south London and were aged between 14 and 17 at the time of the attack, had denied the allegations.

Jamie received 20 separate injuries when he was beaten with snooker cues and bats by a gang after being sick on the pavement on a street in Rotherhithe's Osprey estate on 7 August 1997.

Police officers said they faced an immediate "wall of terrified silence" when they tried to speak to witnesses.

Many only spoke after police launched a hugely expensive witness protection scheme, moving some witnesses and even their family and friends from the area.

MP intervenes

When Jamie's family leafleted for information about the killers, they generated so much hostility on the estate that they had to be given police protection.

The case was eventually taken up by local Liberal Democrat MP Simon Hughes, who assured witnesses they would be protected from possible reprisals and their anonymity guaranteed if they gave evidence.

He controversially arranged for the deportation of an illegal immigrant to be overruled, because his evidence was so valuable to the enquiry.

Outside the court, Dept Asst Comm Andy Trotter, who supervised the original inquiry, said the case had been expensive, but the police had been determined to catch the killers "at all costs".

And he said there may be a further trial.

A sixth man, aged 18, who also cannot be named, is wanted in connection with the murder but he is currently on the run from police. At least two other suspects are still being sought.





Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


UK Contents

Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales
England

Relevant Stories

08 Sep 99 | UK
MP 'conned' over murder appeal

19 Jan 99 | UK
Teenagers arrested over youth murder





Internet Links


Scotland Yard


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Next steps for peace

Blairs' surprise over baby

Bowled over by Lord's

Beef row 'compromise' under fire

Hamilton 'would sell mother'

Industry misses new trains target

From Sport
Quins fightback shocks Cardiff

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

IRA ceasefire challenge rejected

Thousands celebrate Asian culture

From Sport
Christie could get two-year ban

From Entertainment
Colleagues remember Compo

Mother pleads for baby's return

Toys withdrawn in E.coli health scare

From Health
Nurses role set to expand

Israeli PM's plane in accident

More lottery cash for grassroots

Pro-lifers plan shock launch

Double killer gets life

From Health
Cold 'cure' comes one step closer

From UK Politics
Straw on trial over jury reform

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Ex-spy stays out in the cold

From UK Politics
Blair warns Livingstone

From Health
Smear equipment `misses cancers'

From Entertainment
Boyzone star gets in Christmas spirit

Fake bubbly warning

Murder jury hears dead girl's diary

From UK Politics
Germ warfare fiasco revealed

Blair babe triggers tabloid frenzy

Tourists shot by mistake

A new look for News Online