Thursday, September 16, 1999 Published at 17:58 GMT 18:58 UK
Celebrity cat runs out of lives
The cat who loved adventure
A cat nicknamed Sparkey who survived an 11,000-volt electric shock has died after curiosity once again got the better of his feline common sense.
The singed face of 18-month-old Sparkey, real name Soxy, appeared in national newspapers after his ears were burnt off at an electricity sub station in Hull in March.
He went on to win an Arthur's Cat of the Year award, became a regular at fete openings and was a fundraising figurehead for animal charities.
But he went missing last week and on Wednesday, Yorkshire Electricity workers found Sparkey's body in the same sub station where he was first injured.
His owner Steve Bateman, a musician, said: "There was just something that drew him to that sub-station, but I thought he would have learned his lesson after what he went through last time.
"I'm totally devastated. I can't believe this has happened after he went through so much last time.
"He was very loyal and affectionate and he loved all the attention he got.
"I've decided I owe the little fella that final bit of respect and I'm going to bury him in his favourite spot in the garden."