Prince Harry's safety was put at risk by photographers while he was on holiday with his girlfriend in Botswana, Clarence House has alleged.
Harry was on holiday in Africa
His aides stopped short of making a formal complaint to the Press Complaints Commission.
But they have contacted the Daily Mail and the Sun which published pictures taken as paparazzi pursued the couple as they were driven along a dirt track.
Both newspapers have issued statements strongly denying the allegations.
The prince's spokesman said both vehicles had been put at risk.
Paddy Harverson said photographers had driven alongside and then in front of Harry's jeep which had been travelling down a rutted, dirt track road in the southern African country.
For the Press Complaints Commission to act, there would have to be evidence of what its code calls "persistent pursuit".
This part of the code was re-written after the death of the prince's mother, Princess Diana, in 1997.
A spokesman for the Sun said: "The Sun categorically denies that Prince Harry's safety was put at risk at any stage by a Sun photographer.
"There was no dangerous driving and absolutely no increased risk of an accident."
The Daily Mail said in a statement: "Any suggestion that the safety of Prince Harry was put at risk by dangerous driving involving a freelance photographer in Botswana is simply nonsense.
"The pictures that were published in the Daily Mail and the Sun on Monday morning arrived at this office on Sunday.
"They had been taken by a freelance photographer, and the Mail went to great lengths to investigate the circumstances under which they had been taken.
"The pictures themselves speak volumes: they show a completely relaxed Prince Harry, who was self-evidently not in fear of an accident, as Clarence House wishes to suggest.
"There was no pursuit, no harassment and no danger."