Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point

In Depth

On Air

Archive
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Wednesday, September 8, 1999 Published at 09:14 GMT 10:14 UK


UK

Dome tube link 'ready for millennium'

The Jubilee Line extension will bring revellers to the Dome

Visitors should be able to travel to the Millennium Dome by Tube after London Underground promised that an extension will be completed by New Year.

Speaking on BBC Radio 4's Today Programme, managing director Derek Smith said Phase Two of the troubled multi-billion pound project, from the Dome at North Greenwich to Waterloo, would be open within three weeks.


[ image: The first section of the extension opened a year late]
The first section of the extension opened a year late
Referring to recent reports that it had been delayed, he said that he was "not sure where all this is coming from".

"We fully expect the Jubilee Line Phase Two to open this month and our plan is to open Phase Three, and that is link up the whole of the Jubilee Line, within a few weeks after that," he said.

Apology for disruption

He added that trial trains were being run at the moment and Phase Two was "very nearly ready".

And he stressed that the entire extension, which will allow passengers to travel from Stanmore in north-west London, via the Dome to Stratford, in east London, would be ready in time for the New Year's Eve celebrations.

"No question - it will be there, linked up, working," he insisted.

Mr Smith also apologised for the problems that have disrupted services on large parts of the ageing network this year.

He said they were caused by the need to replace tunnels and track on lines such as the Circle Line and the Northern Line, parts of which have had to be closed this summer.

The cost of the project has jumped from £2.1bn at the start of work to £3.3bn.

Millennium Dome organisers estimate that about 42% of the expected 12 million visitors to the Dome during the year 2000 will use the Jubilee Line extension to travel there.





Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


UK Contents

Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales
England

Relevant Stories

23 Jul 99†|†UK Politics
Dome ready for 2000 - minister

14 May 99†|†UK
Dome rail link ready to roll

09 Dec 98†|†UK Politics
Minister confronts dome travel worries

18 Nov 98†|†UK
Dome Tube extension 'sabotaged'

07 Oct 98†|†UK
New set-back for Dome tube





Internet Links


Jubilee Line Extension

BBC News Online's Domecam

London Transport

Greenwich 2000 - Millennium Dome

Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Next steps for peace

Blairs' surprise over baby

Bowled over by Lord's

Beef row 'compromise' under fire

Hamilton 'would sell mother'

Industry misses new trains target

From Sport
Quins fightback shocks Cardiff

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

IRA ceasefire challenge rejected

Thousands celebrate Asian culture

From Sport
Christie could get two-year ban

From Entertainment
Colleagues remember Compo

Mother pleads for baby's return

Toys withdrawn in E.coli health scare

From Health
Nurses role set to expand

Israeli PM's plane in accident

More lottery cash for grassroots

Pro-lifers plan shock launch

Double killer gets life

From Health
Cold 'cure' comes one step closer

From UK Politics
Straw on trial over jury reform

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Ex-spy stays out in the cold

From UK Politics
Blair warns Livingstone

From Health
Smear equipment `misses cancers'

From Entertainment
Boyzone star gets in Christmas spirit

Fake bubbly warning

Murder jury hears dead girl's diary

From UK Politics
Germ warfare fiasco revealed

Blair babe triggers tabloid frenzy

Tourists shot by mistake

A new look for News Online