Two soldiers convicted of abusing Iraqi civilians are appealing against their convictions, the BBC has learned.
The soldiers claimed they had been made scapegoats
Cpl Daniel Kenyon and L/Cpl Mark Cooley were found guilty at a court martial in Germany and dismissed from the Army.
After Cooley, 25, was jailed for two years and Kenyon, 33, for 18 months their lawyer suggested that they had been made "scapegoats".
The abuse, near Basra, came to light when so-called trophy photographs of the incidents were developed.
A third soldier, L/Cpl Darren Larkin was sentenced to nearly five months after pleading guilty to assault after he was pictured standing on top of an Iraqi.
Britain's top soldier, General Sir Michael Jackson, said he had been "appalled" by the case and apologised on behalf of the Army to the people of Iraq.
Cooley was found guilty on two charges - one of disgraceful conduct of a cruel kind after he drove a forklift truck with a bound Iraqi suspended from the prongs.
He was also convicted of simulating a punch in a picture.
Kenyon, the most senior soldier on trial, was found guilty of failing to report Cooley for the forklift truck incident and of aiding and abetting Larkin to assault a prisoner.
He was also convicted of failing to report that soldiers under his command had forced two naked prisoners to simulate sex, but cleared of aiding and abetting those responsible.
The fate of the soldiers from the 1st Battalion The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers was decided by Judge Advocate Michael Hunter and a panel of seven senior officers in Osnabrueck, Germany last month.
In their defence, the soldiers claimed that the abuse stemmed from an unlawful mission which took place at the aid camp to capture and deter looters.
Stuart Jackson, who represented both Kenyon and Cooley, said after the trial in February that Kenyon felt he had been "singled out" while other soldiers had escaped action.
Mr Jackson said of Cooley: "If he is guilty... many senior officers have been saved from the same fate only by their rank."
On Thursday he said: "I can confirm that an appeal has been lodged today against sentencing and conviction."
He said further details about the appeal would be released next week.