[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Thursday, 22 September 2005, 18:25 GMT 19:25 UK
Extradited bomb suspect charged
Mr Osman(in blue hood)  boarding an aircraft in Rome

A man has been charged over the failed 21 July London bomb attacks after being extradited from Italy.

Hussain Osman, 27, was charged with attempted murder, conspiracy to commit murder and explosives offences.

Mr Osman was arrested in Rome a week after the attempted bombings, and flown back to the UK on Thursday afternoon.

He is suspected of trying to blow up a Tube train at Shepherd's Bush, London. Three other men have already been charged over the failed attacks.

Mr Osman, also known as Hamdi Issac, will appear before magistrates sitting at Belmarsh jail on Friday.

Rome flight

Mr Osman had been held in Rome's Rebibbia prison since his arrest, but after losing his appeal against extradition was taken to the city's Ciampino airport to be flown back to the UK on Thursday.

Officers from the Metropolitan Police's extradition unit accompanied Ethiopian-born Mr Osman on a private charter jet from Rome, which touched down at RAF Northolt on Thursday afternoon.

Within minutes, anti-terrorism officers boarded the plane and formally arrested him.

Police van at Paddington Green
Hussain Osman was taken to Paddington Green station
He was taken from the base to high-security Paddington Green police station, in west London, as part of the extradition procedure.

Later on Thursday, Scotland Yard issued a statement saying he had been formally charged.

It was alleged that on 21 July he "did attempt to murder passengers on the Transport for London system contrary to Section 1 (Criminal Attempts Act 1981)".

It was also alleged that he: "On or before 21/7/05 did conspire together with others to murder passengers on the TfL system."

It was also alleged Mr Osman "unlawfully and maliciously made or had" an explosive substance with intent "to endanger life or cause serious injury to property".

A further charge was that he conspired with others to cause explosions "of a nature likely to endanger life or cause serious injury to property".

Mr Osman's Italian lawyer, Antonietta Sonnessa, had appealed against him being sent back to Britain - arguing he would not get a fair trial.

Test case

The case was seen as a test case for the new European Arrest Warrant, which was intended to speed up extradition in such cases.

Three other suspected bombers - Ibrahim Muktar Said, 27, Yassin Hassan Omar, 24, and Ramzi Mohamed, 23 - are currently being held at Belmarsh high-security prison in south-east London.

They are charged with attempted murder and possessing explosives following alleged attempted bomb attacks on London's transport network.

They and a fourth man, Manfo Kwaku Asiedu, 32, are also charged with conspiracy to murder and conspiracy to cause explosions.

The charges against Mr Asiedu relate to an unexploded device found two days after the bomb attempts.

All four are due before a judge at the Old Bailey in December.

The failed 21 July attacks took place two weeks to the day after four suicide bombers killed 52 passengers on the London transport network.


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific