[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Friday, 26 August 2005, 09:00 GMT 10:00 UK
Bomb suspect contests extradition
Hussain Osman, also known as Hamdi Isaac
Hussain Osman has been held in a Rome prison
One of the suspected bombers in the 21 July failed London attacks has appealed in Italy against a ruling that he can be extradited to the UK.

Hussain Osman, 27, who was arrested in Italy one week after the attacks, is accused of trying to blow himself up on a Tube train at Shepherd's Bush.

On 17 August, an Italian court ruled Mr Osman - also known as Hamdi Issac - could be extradited within 35 days.

Three other men have been charged in the UK with the failed London bombings.

The 35-day delay before Mr Osman's extradition is to allow Italian police the opportunity to finish their own investigations into his activities.

On Friday, his lawyer, Antonietta Sonnessa, said she had lodged appeal papers with the supreme court.

Mr Osman's lawyer, Antonietta Sonnessa
Mr Osman's lawyer fears he will not be given a fair trial in Britain

It now has 15 days to make a final ruling - meaning Mr Osman, who was arrested on 29 July, could be back in the UK by the end of September.

Ms Sonnessa said she was afraid he would not be given a fair trial in Britain.

The court case has been seen as a test case for the new European Arrest Warrant, which is intended to speed up extradition in such cases.

Remanded in custody

The other three suspected bombers - Ibrahim Muktar Said, 27, Yassin Hassan Omar, 24, and Ramzi Mohamed, 23 - appeared before Bow Street magistrates sitting at Belmarsh high security prison in south-east London on 8 August.

They are charged with attempted murder and possessing explosives following alleged attempted bomb attacks on three Tube trains and a bus.

They and a fourth man, Manfo Kwaku Asiedu, 32, are also charged with conspiracy to murder and conspiracy to cause explosions.

The charges against Mr Asiedu relate to an unexploded device found two days after the bomb attempts.

The four men were remanded in custody for three months and will next appear in court on 14 November.

The failed 21 July attacks took place two weeks to the day after four suicide bombers killed 52 passengers on the London transport network.


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific