Front Page

UK

World

Business

Sci/Tech

Sport

Despatches

World Summary


On Air

Cantonese

Talking Point

Feedback

Text Only

Help

Site Map

Sunday, December 21, 1997 Published at 21:02 GMT



UK

Diana's lawyers could sue Al Fayed
image: [ Diana's family may demand at least £8m in compensation for her death ]
Diana's family may demand at least £8m in compensation for her death

Lawyers acting for the estate of Diana, the late Princess of Wales, have taken steps towards a possible compensation claim for millions of pounds.

They have registered a civil interest in the criminal investigation into her death which could lead to a claim against the business empire of Mohammed Al Fayed.

Reports say that if French investigators rule that Mr Al Fayed, as the employer of the driver of the car in which the princess was killed, is responsible for her death, the estate would have grounds to sue.


[ image: Al Fayed: employed Henri Paul as a driver]
Al Fayed: employed Henri Paul as a driver
A spokesman for the princess's estate said no civil action would be initiated until the criminal investigation into the crash had been completed.

Tests after the crash on August 31 revealed that Henri Paul was three times over the French drink-drive limit when the Mercedes limousine he was driving crashed in an underpass tunnel at about 100mph (160kph).

Royal sources have said that the minimum claim against the Harrods' boss would be £8m which amounts to the inheritance tax incurred after Diana's death, according to a report in The Sunday Times.


[ image: Henri Paul: tests showed he was drunk]
Henri Paul: tests showed he was drunk
The princess's former head of staff, Michael Gibbins, has confirmed that the estate was registered as an "interested party" in the ongoing criminal investigation in Paris.

He said: "The situation is that the executors for the estate have registered the estate as a party interested in the criminal investigation in France. Under French law that has to be done in order to allow the estate to gain access to the papers and that is what has been done."

He added: "No consideration has been given to the question of any civilian action, nor would that consideration be given until the criminal investigation has been completed."
 





Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage

©

  Relevant Stories

19 Dec 97 | UK
Doubts over Diana and Dodi's 'last interview'

19 Dec 97 | World
Diana bodyguard returns to Paris

19 Dec 97 | UK
Tabloids get code of honour after Diana's death

 
  Internet Links

Diana Remembered - BBC site [uses frames]


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.
 
In this section

Next steps for peace

Blairs' surprise over baby

Bowled over by Lord's

Beef row 'compromise' under fire

Hamilton 'would sell mother'

Industry misses new trains target

From Sport
Quins fightback shocks Cardiff

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

IRA ceasefire challenge rejected

Thousands celebrate Asian culture

From Sport
Christie could get two-year ban

From Entertainment
Colleagues remember Compo

Mother pleads for baby's return

Toys withdrawn in E.coli health scare

From Health
Nurses role set to expand

Israeli PM's plane in accident

More lottery cash for grassroots

Pro-lifers plan shock launch

Double killer gets life

From Health
Cold 'cure' comes one step closer

From UK Politics
Straw on trial over jury reform

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Ex-spy stays out in the cold

From UK Politics
Blair warns Livingstone

From Health
Smear equipment `misses cancers'

From Entertainment
Boyzone star gets in Christmas spirit

Fake bubbly warning

Murder jury hears dead girl's diary

From UK Politics
Germ warfare fiasco revealed

Blair babe triggers tabloid frenzy

Tourists shot by mistake

A new look for News Online





UK Contents

Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales
England