[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Sunday, 18 December 2005, 15:01 GMT
UK victims of Asian tsunami
The Asian tsunami on 26 December 2004 claimed the lives of 149 people who are British citizens or have close links to the UK, say police.

Inquests into the deaths of 91 British victims and two foreign nationals, whose bodies were repatriated to the UK, were held at Olympia in London from 5-8 December.

The Metropolitan Police has also listed 52 UK victims who were buried or cremated abroad, and a further six still considered to be missing, presumed dead.


Jane Abeyratne with her daughter Alexandra

June Abeyratne, 48, from Kingswood, Surrey, had travelled to Sri Lanka to pursue her dream of opening an orphanage. The London inquest heard that she and her family were holidaying over Christmas at the Yala Safari Park.

She died after saving her 11-year-old daughter Alexandra by pushing her through a bathroom window.

Alexandra was found unconscious some distance away but her mother drowned.

Mrs Abeyratne's Sri Lankan husband Viraj, who had gone on safari on the morning of the disaster, survived.

City broker Lincoln Abraham, 34, of Hampstead, north London, was killed while on holiday with a group of friends at the Princess Diving and Spa Resort on Phi Phi, Thailand.

The London inquest heard that Mr Abraham was with two friends and had just left them in the reception area of the hotel and returned to his beach-side chalet when the wave hit.

His friends escaped and later identified his body.

Tracy Andrews, 40, of Chingford, Essex, was staying in a beach front bungalow with her husband John at the Charlie Beach Resort in Phi Phi, Thailand.

On the morning of the disaster they had breakfast with friends and had returned to the hut when the wave hit. It was destroyed and the couple were not seen alive again, the inquest heard.

Mrs Andrews' husband was cremated overseas and is not the subject of an inquest in the UK.

Patricia Anthony, 46, from South Woodford, London was walking along a beach on Phi Phi, Thailand, with her husband Patrick and son Adam Cornish when they were swept towards a wall by the water.

Her husband and Adam managed to climb the wall, and both survived, but she was swept away.

Simon Atlee and Petra Nemcova

English fashion photographer Simon Atlee, of Stoke Newington, London, died after being swept away while on a surprise holiday with his supermodel girlfriend in Thailand.

The 33-year-old and his Czech partner Petra Nemcova, 25, were staying in a beachfront bungalow in the resort of Khao Lak when they were swept through a window by the wall of water. Ms Nemcova was seriously injured.

A eulogy read on behalf of Mr Atlee's family at the inquest said the couple had spent an idyllic Christmas Day, planning their wedding and their future together.

"When speaking to his family on the phone from Thailand on Christmas Day, his girlfriend described him as shining with happiness, which is how we shall always remember him."

"Simon, or Sid as he was known to his family, did not waste a single second of his life. He made more of his 33 years than most could with twice that time."

Valerie Awcock, 57, of St Albans, Hertfordshire, was one of three members of her family to lose their lives in Khao Lak, Thailand.

Her 31-year-old daughter Claire Hickman and son-in-law David, 37, also from St Albans, also perished. Mrs Awcock's husband Andrew was the sole survivor.

David Hickman
David Hickman died alongside wife Claire and mother-in-law Valerie

The London inquest heard that the Hickmans were killed when their villa at the Royal Koko Palm Beach Hotel was destroyed as they had breakfast.

Mrs Awcock, a retired tailor, and her husband were engulfed by water as they tried to run for safety from the beach.

Her brother, Les Moody, said: "The affection with which she was held by so many people was very moving. I remember her as a rather shy girl when we were children who developed into a successful woman."

Singer and actor Ross Baker, 26, from Yatton, Somerset, was staying with friends he met while travelling on the island of Phi Phi, Thailand, when the tsunami hit.

He was due to meet a friend in Bangkok on 28 December but never arrived.

The London inquest heard no witnesses could tell where Mr Baker was when the wall of water struck on Boxing Day.

Mr Baker was travelling in South East Asia as he took a break from his part in a touring production of the hit musical Fame.

His family released a song called Come What May to fund a scholarship in his memory.

Coroner Alison Thompson said: "He was obviously a talented young man with a successful musical career."

Marketing director Kevin Barnett, 37, from Wales, was on a diving holiday in Thailand with his girlfriend Angela when the tsunami struck.

Mr Barnett, who lived in Zorneding, Germany, contacted his parents after arriving at the Hotel Bahn in Khao Lak on 21 December and again on Christmas Day.

No witnesses have been found to say where the couple were at the time of the tsunami.

Mr Barnett's girlfriend's body was repatriated to Germany.

Leonard Barratt and Catherine Mullan
We are looking for our mother and father
Louis and Theo Barratt Mullan

Leonard Barratt, 50, and Catherine Mullan, 53, from Truro, Cornwall, were killed while on holiday in Khao Lak, Thailand. Their sons Louis Barratt Mullan, 16, and 12-year-old Theo survived.

After eating breakfast with their sons, the couple were swept to their deaths when they went to find out what was happening to the sea, leaving Louis and Theo in their room.

The boys pinned a note to a door at a local hospital asking for their parents to contact them.

Louis described the tsunami as "like a giant washing machine" when he called his grandmother from Thailand.

A eulogy read on behalf of Theo to the inquest said: "My mum and dad were the best parents in the world.

"I hope they look after me and Louis all our lives, as well as each other.

"I have lots of funny and nice memories of our life together."

Robert Bell, 34, was on the Thai island of Phi Phi with his Japanese girlfriend Junko.

The inquest heard Mr Bell drowned when the couple were swept away, and Junko was later rescued and revived.

In a tribute from the family they said Mr Bell, originally from Driffield, East Yorkshire, was living in Japan and teaching English as a foreign language.

The statement said: "He was an excellent teacher who was popular with his pupils. Ex-colleagues speak of his energy and humour and empathy with his students."

Michael Bowen, 67, and his wife Teresa Bowen, 54, from Norwich, were staying at the Sita Gardens resort in Khao Lak.

Mrs Bowen's parents received a text on Christmas Day, but the couple were not heard from again.

The Bowen's children travelled to Thailand to look for them after the tsunami and they were subsequently found, and identified, in March.

Sound engineer Kevin Brickel, from Hertford, was holidaying in Phi Phi, Thailand with his Thai girlfriend.

He celebrated his 32nd birthday three days before the tsunami hit.

On Boxing Day his girlfriend left him asleep in their room while she went for breakfast, and when she returned she saw him in the distance walking towards the beach. The inquest heard that was the last time she saw him alive.

His body was identified in April.

Three members of one family died when their bungalow in Phi Phi, Thailand, was hit by the tsunami.

Amanda Britton, 40, died along with her brother Adrian Lester, 37, and 64-year-old father Keith Lester when the tsunami hit the Thai island of Phi Phi.

Their mother Barbara and another brother James survived.

A wall of water appeared when they were in their bungalow, and when it ebbed away Keith, an accountant, and radiographer Amanda were missing, along with Adrian, the inquest heard.

Paul Clarke from Kinoulton in Nottinghamshire, was killed while on a diving holiday in the Khao Lak area of Thailand.

He had celebrated his 44th birthday three days before the tsunami and his wife Theresa last heard from him on Christmas Day.

His body was identified two months later.

Melanie Clough, 46, of Wimbledon, London, died in Khao Lak where she had been on holiday with her parents, husband Simon and three children.

She was in the family's villa when it was "completely devastated". Her husband and son Freddie were playing golf with their holidaying group and survived.

Leanne Cox

Graduate Leanne Cox, 23, from Hartlepool, arrived in Thailand on Christmas Eve and was staying at a guesthouse with a friend when the disaster devastated the area.

She was on a working and backpacking trip to Australia, New Zealand and the Far East.

Miss Cox and her friend were in their room, having returned from breakfast when the waves hit. Her friend survived.

In a eulogy read to the mass inquest her father Alan and mother Jean Dogan said Leanne had "grown into a young woman who had got the priorities of her life right. She knew the value of true friendship, true love and of her family".

It added: "You are unique Leanne and irreplaceable. The loss of you has shattered our lives and nothing in our world will ever be the same again."

Anthony Crossman, 51, Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire died from his injuries nearly a month after being caught up in the tsunami.

He was in Sri Lanka to celebrate his 51st birthday and having breakfast with his daughter Jennifer, 18, near Galle when the wave hit.

They fled upstairs to their rooms but were engulfed in water, and Mr Crossman, who was diabetic, suffered a deep injury to his leg, the inquest heard.

Following treatment at a local hospital, he returned to Britain and went to hospital three times in January to have the wound cleansed.

He discharged himself on 17 January "against medical advice", the hearing was told, then was readmitted a week later after collapsing, and died from a deep vein thrombosis related to his leg injury.

Widow Joan Elias, 75, was on holiday with her son and his partner in Khao Lak, Thailand.

The three were on the patio of their beachfront villa when the tsunami came and Mrs Elias, from South Wirral in Cheshire, was separated from the others.

Her son, who survived along with his partner, later found her body.

Tom Fairbairn,  Colin Fairbairn, Carole Fairbairn

Survivor Dorothy Wilkinson lost her boyfriend Tom Fairbairn, 25, and his parents Carole and Colin Fairbairn, both 58, who had emigrated to Thailand.

Miss Wilkinson, 35, clung to a tree and watched in horror as the wave swept over the other three at the Orchid Beach Resort in Khao Lak, the inquest heard.

Miss Wilkinson said in a tribute: "Being all together at the same time one minute, then in total disaster the next - I will never overcome why I was spared that day. I have yet to understand."

The Fairbairn family eulogy described Colin Fairbairn, a retired graphic designer and his wife, a teacher, as a couple with a zest for life and a love of travel.

Mother Samantha Fayet, 32, died at the resort of Khao Lak, in Thailand, trying to protect baby Ruby Rose, aged six months.

Mrs Fayet, a fashion model booker from London, who lived in Paris, was washed away with Ruby Rose despite the desperate effort of her French husband Patrice to save them, the inquest heard.

Mr Fayet and his sister-in-law Nathalie searched for them for months, believing they had survived, but found Mrs Fayet's body in March.

No inquest has been opened for Ruby Rose, whose body has not been found.

A statement from Samantha's parents Andrew and Mirielle Archer described their situation as a "continuous sorrow that only people in our situation can understand".

Lancashire couple Susan and Terence Ford died during a Christmas holiday in Khao Lak, Thailand.

They had contacted their daughters to wish them Merry Christmas the day before the disaster.

No witnesses have been found to establish where Mrs Ford, a 55-year-old teacher, and her husband, a project manager, were when the tsunami came.

Kevin and Sandra Forkan
Sandra Forkan, 40, from New Milton, Hampshire, and her 54-year-old husband Kevin were killed in Weligama, Sri Lanka.

The couple were on a working holiday with four of their children.

Mr Forkan, a computer website designer, and his wife were engulfed by the wave and drowned but their children survived, the inquest heard.

In March, AFC Bournemouth football club held a charity match to raise money for the orphaned children.

Heather Gill

Special needs teacher Heather Gill, 42, was swept away from her family in the tsunami while on holiday in Thailand.

Mrs Gill, from Lee-on-Solent, Hampshire, was with husband Steve and daughter Charlotte Daniels, 17, and brother Paul in a bungalow in Phuket when they were all separated by the force of the torrent.

Her body was later found washed ashore.

Carol and Mike Hall

Bristol couple Carol and Mike Hall, both 60, were holidaying in the Thai resort of Patong, in Phuket.

They were both named on lists of the dead at Patong Hospital, and Mrs Hall's death was later confirmed in the UK.

Mrs Hall had celebrated her 60th birthday on Christmas Day.

Roger Hankinson, 67, a retired businessman from Northwich in Cheshire was travelling around Phuket in Thailand when the tsunami hit.

No witnesses saw exactly what happened to him, the London inquest heard.

A tribute from Mr Hankinson's family read at the inquest described him as "a perfect English gentleman".

"His ability to concentrate on a task until it was completed was sometimes a little frightening," they said.

Mr Hankinson, a keen gymnast, received a blue from St Catherine's College, Cambridge, where he studied metallurgy.

Peter Harrison, 46, was spending Christmas with his Thai girlfriend Toy in Khao Lak.

Both died in the disaster but no witnesses could say exactly where they were.

His family said Mr Harrison, a plumber from St Helier on Jersey, was "one of the best".

"The world was a better place with him in it," the statement said.

John Hofton, 61, and wife Annie, 57, of Wichenford, Worcester, were lost in Khao Lak, Thailand.

They had been staying at the South Seas Pakaray Hotel but no witnesses have been able to establish their whereabouts when the tsunami struck.

Mr Hofton, an engineer, and Mrs Hofton, who owned a women's clothes shop in Malvern had been spending Christmas and New Year at the resort.

They leave two grown up sons and a daughter.

The coroner said the couple's family had been involved in raising money for victims of the disaster.

Lord Attenborough with granddaughter Lucy Holland, then aged 5
I cannot begin to conceive of my parents' feelings at the loss of two generations
Lord Attenborough's son Michael

Richard Attenborough's granddaughter Lucy Holland, 15, was killed while on holiday in Khao Lak, Thailand.

Lucy's mother Jane, 49, the elder daughter of the actor and film director, and her paternal grandmother, Audrey Holland, 81, also died.

The three victims had stayed behind at the villa after Jane's husband Michael Holland, took their son Samuel to play golf. Mr Holland's other daughter, Alice, survived the massive wave with serious injuries.

Coroner Alison Thompson said: "Michael Holland lost his daughter, his wife and his mother. We can't begin to imagine his sense of grief. It was a truly devastating loss."

David Page with Taylor Howard (left), 6, Mason (right), 8, who all died. Sharon Howard survived

Six-year-old Taylor Howard from St Ives, Cornwall, and brother Mason, aged eight, were killed as they holidayed in Khao Lak, Thailand with their mother Sharon, 37, and her fiance David Page, 44.

Mr Page was also killed; he had asked Ms Howard to marry him on Christmas Day.

At the inquest Ms Howard broke down as she recalled that after breakfast on Boxing Day her boyfriend had dropped Taylor at the resort's children's club and left Mason by the outdoor swimming pool before returning to their hotel room.

The last time Mason was seen he was "on a sun lounger playing with his Gameboy," she said.

Mr Page, from Petworth in West Sussex, and Ms Howard were engulfed by water in their hotel room, and only she managed to survive.

In a tribute to Mr Page she said: "Anyone can become a father but it takes someone special to become a dad and that's what you were to the boys."

Jon Hughes

IT support consultant Jonathan Hughes, 33, of Bramley, Leeds, was on holiday with girlfriend Sally Shearing when the giant wave hit their beach bungalow on the Thai island of Phi Phi.

The couple had just had breakfast and then walked to the beach front to get a kayak.

Because the sea was too far out, they then returned to their bungalow from where they were both swept away when the tsunami hit.

Mr Hughes died but Ms Shearing, despite suffering a broken kneecap and cuts, survived after being rescued by locals, the inquest heard.

Mr Hughes' body was identified by a distinctive tattoo on his leg.

Dale Hurren and son James

James Hurren, 22, from Gorleston-on-Sea, Norfolk, was identified by his father Dale after he arrived in Thailand to join the search for his son.

He and his friend, Bin Tyler - who survived - were two weeks into a six-month backpacking holiday.

The London inquest heard that he was by the beachfront on the island of Phi Phi when the tsunami struck.

His father said James was a party-loving young man with a charm and personality second to none.

Alex Hill and Clare Jackson. Picture courtesy of the Bristol Evening Post

Exeter University graduate Clare Jackson, 25, from Knowle, Bristol, died when a torrent of water pulled her away from her injured boyfriend Alex Hill, 24, in Tangalle, Sri Lanka.

Her body was identified by her father Peter Jackson, from Bournemouth, early in January.

Mr Hill, also from Bristol, suffered severe leg injuries in the disaster.

Charlotte Jones
This is so difficult - nobody should have to go through this
Alan Jones

Charlotte Jones, 23, from Petersfield, Hampshire, was due to catch a 10am boat off the island of Racha Yai, south of Phuket, Thailand, when the giant wave swept in.

The inquest heard Miss Jones drowned after stumbling as she fled from the waves at the island's Siam Bay beach resort.

She was on a gap year trip that started in India before taking her to Thailand. She planned to move on to Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Australia and New Zealand.

Miss Jones' parents Alan and Liz travelled to Racha Yai in December 2005 to search for more information about the circumstances of her death.

Mr Jones criticised the timing of the mass inquest in London, and at the inquest her mother spoke out against the lack of a warning system, saying a five-minute warning would have saved her daughter's life.

Sue and Rob Kennedy died in Phuket

Sue Kennedy, 59, mother of television gardener Charlie Dimmock, and her husband Rob, 58, were swept away by the waves which struck the Thai beach resort of Khao Lak.

The couple, both PR consultants from Romsey in Hampshire, had spent a week in Cambodia before heading to Thailand.

The inquest heard that their resort - made up of beach chalets on stilts in the lagoon of the bay - had been "destroyed" in the torrent.

John and Mary Levett, both aged 65, from Lyme Regis in Dorset, drowned in the Khao Lak resort in Thailand.

There were no witnesses to where they had been when the tsunami struck but the coroner said she was aware that a number of hotels in the area had been "completely demolished".

The body of Mr Levett, a retired salesman, was discovered in March while that of his wife, a retired pianist was identified in April.

Robert Little, 49, from south-east London, was on holiday in Patong, Thailand, when the tsunami hit.

Mr Little was staying at the Sea View Hotel in the Patong resort with a friend, who last saw him on the evening of Christmas Day and was away when the waves hit.

When the friend returned after the disaster, he found the hotel was badly damaged and Mr Little's basement room was flooded.

In a statement read out at the inquest, Mr Little's mother and brothers said "life will never be the same for us".

Mr Little's body was identified in February.

Michael Long, 49, of Northwood, Middlesex, and girlfriend Loretta Morin, 40, of Ealing in London, are believed to have been in their chalet on the beach resort at Khao Lak in Thailand when the huge wave hit.

In a eulogy read to the inquest, Mr Long, a company director of a chartered surveying business, was described as "an articulate, intelligent, talented, well-travelled individual who delighted in meeting people from all walks of life".

His body was formally identified in early January 2005.

Ms Morin's body was not identified until March by Thai authorities.

Members of her family told the inquest they were unhappy it had taken so long for the identification.

Amanda Lowe, 32, originally from the Isle of Man, was staying at the Charlie Beach Resort on Phi Phi island, Thailand, with partner Andrew Cain when the tsunami hit.

Mr Cain survived the tsunami and was airlifted to hospital.

A eulogy read on behalf of the family of Ms Lowe, a project manager who was living in Singapore, described her "wicked sense of humour, infectious smile and bright red hair".

"We spoke to Amanda on Christmas Day and she was having a wonderful time.

"She was the happiest she had ever been - both in her personal and professional life."

Her body was identified in May and her funeral held in the Isle of Man.

Professor Sally [Sarah] Macgill
Professor Sarah MacGill, 53, of Burley in Wharfedale, West Yorkshire, died while kayaking with her two daughters at the Tpa Resort, Ao Nang Beach, in Krabi, Thailand.

One of her daughters, Alice MacGill, 23, is still missing and no inquest has been held.

Her other daughter Edith, 25, survived.

Prof MacGill, a divorced environmental science university professor, was known to friends as Sally.

In a statement read out to the inquiry on her behalf, Edith described Prof MacGill as an "irreplaceable mother and friend".

She remembered her mother for her "generosity and strong sense of fairness", the statement said.

Nicholas MacKenzie-Charrington, 59, from Alresford, Hampshire was staying at the Orchard Beach Resort with his wife Susan and friends in Khao Lak, Thailand.

The 59-year-old had just finished breakfast when the tsunami struck the hotel.

Mrs MacKenzie-Charrington was in the hotel and survived, but her husband was swept away.

His body was identified in March.

Denise and Steve Magson

Father-of-three Stephen Magson, 54, from York, was killed on Phi Phi island, Thailand. His wife Denise and daughter India survived.

Their family said they had called the previous day to wish everyone a merry Christmas and say what a happy time they were having.

"When the tsunami hit Phi Phi, Denise and India were out at sea in a kayak and Steve was watching them from the beach. Denise and India miraculously survived a terrible ordeal, together, without any major injuries, but there was no sign of Steve," they said.

He was later identified using dental records and fingerprints.

The inquest heard that the company director and his family had been staying at the Phi Phi Princess Diving and Spa Resort.

Lisa May

Lisa May, 25, of Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, was in her beach bungalow at the Charlie Beach Resort on Phi Phi island, when the tsunami struck.

She had gone to Thailand to be bridesmaid at her sister Nicola's wedding on 11 December and stayed on with friends.

Ms May, a chef who had taken a year out to travel, had planned to fly to Sydney, Australia, to celebrate the New Year.

Family members have set up a charity - The Lisa May Foundation based in Khao Lak - which is helping refugees from the disaster.

In a eulogy read to the inquest on his behalf, her father John - who found her body when he went to Thailand to search for her - said she was "sheer fun to be around" and "full of infectious laughter" and "wicked jokes".

"Lisa will always be in our hearts and remain forever young," it read.

Kevin McCarthy and Debbie Evans
Kevin McCarthy, 33, an estate agent, and his 31-year-old girlfriend Debbie Evans, a property lettings manager, were on holiday in Thailand when the tsunami hit.

The couple, who lived in Camberley, Surrey, had been staying in Khao Lak, and were last heard of on Christmas Day, when they said they were taking a day trip to Phi Phi island.

Mr McCarthy's brother, was one of two people who went to Thailand to search for them, he found the resort had been "demolished", but the couple's room was intact.

He discovered they had been seen heading towards the beach by a maid minutes before the tsunami came.

Matthew McComish, a 29-year-old diving instructor from Birmingham, was found dead by friends on 28 December close to where he had worked on Phi Phi Island.

They had flown out to Thailand in an attempt to find him. The friends found one witness who said that Mr McComish was in the dive shop when the wave struck.

Christopher McGlynn, 25, from Sudbury, Suffolk, was on holiday with his girlfriend on Phi Phi island in Thailand.

They were at the Charlie Beach Resort when the tsunami struck. His girlfriend was swept out the back of the resort and survived, but Mr McGlynn was not see alive again.

His body was identified in April 2005.

Andrew and Natalie McLeish

Andrew McLeish, 31, and his wife Natalie, 28, from Sheffield, were on a belated honeymoon on Phi Phi island, Thailand.

The couple, who were married in May 2004, were staying at the Princess Diving and Spa Resort when the giant wave hit the area.

They had telephoned home on Christmas Day to say they were having "a great time" and that they planned to visit the beach the next day.

The body of Mr McLeish, a creative director of a Sheffield design business, was identified in January 2005 while that of his wife, a food technologist, was not formally identified until September 2005.

The inquest heard that the exact whereabouts of Mrs McLeish, a food technician originally from South Africa, and her husband at the time the tsunami hit was not known.

Five-year-old Isabella Peatfield, from Mappleton, near Ashbourne, Derbyshire, was on holiday in Tangalle, Sri Lanka with her parents Kim, 40, and Tristan, 39, who survived.

Isabella Peatfield
She loved life with a passion
Isabella Peatfield's parents

They said the Christmas break was a last-minute decision - Isabella's 10-year-old brother Oliver stayed in the UK with the extended family.

Their daughter, known as "Bellie", had seen Sri Lanka's elephants in her parents' honeymoon photographs and dreamed of seeing them for real. On the morning of the tsunami, she had put on special clothes for a trip to see the elephants.

When the wave forced them from their bungalow, the power of it tore the family apart - her parents were reunited only after two days' searching.

Luke Puddy, 31, from Witney, Oxfordshire, and Alice Claypoole, 31, from Codford, Wiltshire, were in Khao Lak, Thailand, when the tsunami struck.

Ms Claypoole, an advertising producer and Mr Puddy, an IT consultant, were in the middle of a world tour.

No witnesses have been found to shed light on where they were when the wave struck on Boxing Day, the inquest heard.

Hannah Victoria Pyatt, 32, had travelled from London to Thailand with her husband. The couple were staying in the Krabi area for Christmas.

On 26 December they had taken a boat to visit Poda island, but it was overcome by waves and her husband was the only survivor.

Mr Pyatt identified his the body of his wife - who was a web designer - before it was brought back to Britain and formally identified in January.

Pauline Pyke, 60, from Southampton, was staying on the island of Velavara in the Maldives with her husband, Malcolm.

The inquest was told she was standing in the doorway of their bungalow near the sea when the wave crashed in.

A police spokesman told the hearing: "The bungalow was swept away along with Pauline."

Her husband survived, but is said to be "in poor health".

A family reading said: "We can shed tears that she's gone or smile that she lived. We miss you mum. Rest in peace."

Rachel Quinn, 34, was on holiday in Khao Lak, Thailand, with her husband Kevin - on a break from their home in Hong Kong.

They had left the beach when the tsunami struck and swept Mrs Quinn away. Her husband survived with serious leg injuries.

A eulogy read at the inquest described Mrs Quinn as a "determined woman with a very stubborn and principled make-up to her character.

"Her husband and immediate family have many enduring memories and these treasured memories make us thankful for the time we spent with her, which we must ensure overrides the sadness of our loss," it continued.

Mrs Quinn's body was not formally identified until March this year.

After the inquest, her family criticised the government for "ineffective management and poor communication" with relatives after the tsunami.

Pippa (Philippa) Rea

Pippa (Philippa) Rea, 40, from Nutbourne, West Sussex, was in Phuket on a holiday in Khao Lak, Thailand, with her husband Bill.

Mrs Rea was swept away after the sea surge hit their hotel, along with daughter Claudia, seven, who survived. Her husband was out playing golf.

Her body was identified using dental records in February.

Holly Riddle

Holly Riddle, 21, a personal assistant from Nutbourne, West Sussex, was in Khao Lak, Thailand.

She was on holiday with her father Nicholas, mother Sally and sister Maisie, six, who all survived.

Ms Riddle's father had gone to play golf when the tsunami struck.

Stuart and Tania Shields

Stuart Shields, 37, a keen amateur footballer, was killed while snorkelling in the sea off the Maldives with his wife Tania, 34. She survived and contacted relatives in their home town of Ridgewell, Essex, with the news.

Mr Shields was afraid of deep water and his family said it was "especially cruel that he should die in this way".

It emerged at the inquest that Mr Shields had been about to receive the all-clear after treatment for a serious chest tumour.

The hearing also heard that a friend, Philip Benje, tried to save his life.

Luke Simon holds a picture of his brother Piers

Piers Simon, 33, a garden designer from Chilthorne Domer, in Somerset, was swept out to sea when a wave hit the cafe he was in on the island of Phi Phi.

Mr Simon, his younger brother Luke and two friends had been getting ready to catch a boat to another island when they saw people running.

The group became separated when the tsunami struck and Luke - an English teacher in Chiang Mai - last saw his brother trying to climb onto a wall.

Mr Simon's body was formally identified when it was repatriated to the UK in January.

Two-month-old Charlie Smith, from London, is the youngest known British victim of the disaster. He died in the arms of his father Richard after the wave hit them in Sri Lanka.

Charlie was the grandson of actor Eric Richard, a former star of ITV police series The Bill.

Charlie had been on holiday with his father Richard Smith, mother Deirdre and his brother and sister in Unawatuna.

They had sat down to eat when the water swept up into the restaurant.

Jennifer Solomons, from Alderley Edge in Cheshire, was on holiday in Khao Lak, Thailand, with her husband Alan and sons Ben, 15, and Richard, 12.

They had just finished breakfast at the Sofitel Hotel where they were staying, when the tsunami struck.

Mrs Solomons was swept away, but the rest of her family survived the disaster.

Craig Stanley and Barbara McTaggart

Garden designer Craig Stanley, 30, from Barnsley, South Yorkshire, was killed along with girlfriend Barbara McTaggart, 32.

They were in Koh Phi Phi, Thailand, when the waves struck.

Mr Stanley had phoned friends and family on Christmas Day saying they had been having a "great time" during the first week of their holiday.

It is not known where the couple were when the wave struck, due to a lack of witnesses.

Mr Stanley and Ms McTaggart's bodies were identified in March 2005.

Jeremy "Jez" Stephens, 29, from Norwich, was found dead in a temple in Krabi, Thailand by his friends Craig Cardwell and Gareth Marks.

He had been enjoying the last week of a three-week holiday on the island of Phi Phi when the earthquake struck.

Mr Stephens had left Mr Cardwell in their room just before the waves struck and is believed to have been swept away.

Theo Jez the tsunami baby

Mr Stephens, who worked as a manager for Virgin One Accounts, grew up in Lympne, Kent, but moved to Norwich five years ago with his ex-wife Emma, with whom he had a two-year-old daughter.

Just weeks after his death his girlfriend Kelly Macro, 29, discovered she was carrying his baby. She gave birth to Theodore Jez in Norwich in August.

The inquest heard a eulogy from his mother, Linda Lilley. She described him as a "likeable lad who had many friends right across the world".

"His warm smile and wicked laugh had a great way of making you feel at ease.

"Jez loved his family. He never knew he was going to be a father for the second time," she added.

Stephen Stubbs, 58, from Partington, Greater Manchester, was on holiday in Sri Lanka with his wife Pat, 53 when the waves struck as they travelled to a safari park south of Colombo.

Their minibus was engulfed but although they survived the initial impact Mr Stubbs later died of respiratory failure, the inquest heard.

Arthur and Joyce Sunderland

Joyce Brenda Sunderland, was holidaying with her husband Arthur in Phuket, Thailand on Boxing Day 2004.

They breakfasted at the Best Western Superior Hotel in Bang Tao, where they were staying and were lying on sun loungers when the sea drew back from the beach.

Realising what was happening, they started to run, but became separated and Mrs Sunderland - a former Oxfam volunteer - was swept away.

At the inquest, Arthur Sunderland - accompanied by his two daughters - asked where exactly his wife's body had been found, but the information was not available.

He also asked whether any personal effects were found with the body and was assured the matter would be looked into.

Mrs Sunderland's body not identified until May and at the inquest the coroner apologised for the delay.

She also suggested that Mr Sunderland might be able to speak the British teams that worked in the area to which his wife's body was taken.

Barry Graham Tims, 56, from Chigwell, Essex, died in Khao Lak, Thailand. He had been having breakfast at a seaside cafe when the tsunami struck.

His friend saw him swept around the corner of a building by the water.

The divorced telephone facilities manager's body was identified in February.

Nova Mills and Benjamin Watts

Two childhood friends who were enjoying a Christmas holiday together were among the victims.

Benjamin Watts, 29, and Nova Mills, 28, originally of Holme-upon-Spalding Moor, Yorkshire, had been staying in a beach house with their partners, near the resort of Krabi.

Mr Watts, a design engineer who was living in Munich, Germany, was killed and Ms Mills swept away. Their partners were injured.

No inquest has been opened for Ms Mills, who was buried or cremated abroad.

Peter Weston
It was sudden and chaotic. In the chaos Pete got separated from us
Jackie Weston, wife

Father-of-two Peter Weston, 47, from Hampshire, was holidaying with his wife Jan, 45, and daughters Katie, 11, and Victoria, 14, at the White Sands resort on the Ari Atoll, in the Maldives, when the tsunami struck.

They had just finished breakfast and were still in the hotel complex when the wave hit.

Mrs Weston said: "People didn't know where to go or what to do. It was sudden and chaotic. Pete got separated from us. We are all absolutely devastated."

Nigel and Louise Willgrass
I stood on top of buildings and called for her and she wasn't there
Nigel Willgrass

Louise Willgrass, 43, from Colney, near Norwich, was killed as she holidayed in Thailand with husband Nigel and their four children, aged between six and 16.

She died in a supermarket in Patong, Phuket, after dropping in to buy sun cream, while the rest of her family waited in the car.

Her husband later found her body at a hospital.

He said: "I wanted to take her wedding ring and they wouldn't let me. There was nobody there for me. It was just awful."

A fund set up by Mr Willgrass in her memory has raised hundreds of thousands of pounds to fund a centre for children in Phuket.

Details can be found at www.louisewillgrass.co.uk

At the inquest, Coroner Alison Thompson described the orphanage as a "wonderful project".

Jane Lesley Williams, from Leicester, died in Phuket, Thailand. The 56-year-old hairdresser and her partner Malcolm Boyd had been staying at the Kamala beach hotel.

They were having a cup of tea and planning what to do for the day when the tsunami hit.

Mr Boyd went out to see what was happening, but the water separated them and swept them away. Mr Boyd survived.

Also included in the mass inquest in London were:

Rebecca Susan Johnston, 24, Nottingham, died in Tangalle, Sri Lanka; Colleen Margaret MacDonald, 35, from Beckenham, Kent, died in Khao Lak, Thailand.


The Metropolitan Police says 52 British victims not part of the inquest were buried or cremated abroad. They are:

Julian Ayer, son of the late philosopher Sir Freddie Ayer, was among those who died in Sri Lanka. He was travelling with his wife, Harriet Crawley, to see her son Spencer, 17, play cricket in Galle on a Harrow School cricket tour.

Nicholas Brewster and his fiancee Christina Buelow were due to marry in Switzerland earlier this year.

They were killed when the tsunami hit Khao Lak, three hours before they were due to return home.

An eulogy read at the inquest described a "wonderful and independent son."

John Hoy and wife Nim were on holiday with their children

Diplomat John Hoy, 46, originally from Shropshire, was swept away along with his three children Robert, 12, David, nine, and Kate, seven.

The family was on holiday on Thai beach resort of Khao Lak. Mr Hoy's Thai-born wife Nim survived the disaster.

Mr Hoy worked as an economics advisor for the Department for International Development in Bangkok.

Lisa Jones

Conservationist Lisa Jones died when the tsunami hit the tiny Thai island of Phra Thong where she was working.

Her brother Chris Jones, from Windsor, in Berkshire, said the 31-year-old had dedicated "her short life to helping wildlife and the environment".

Conor Keightley

Conor Keightley from Cookstown, Co Tyrone, went missing after the tsunami struck Thailand where he was on holiday. It would have been his 31st birthday on New Year's Day 2005.

Several members of Mr Keightley's family flew to the Thai resort of Phuket to try to trace his last movements. The government confirmed his body had been identified.

The loss of 29-year-old Justin Ledingham was felt all around the world, said his family.

Justin Ledingham and Seda Tekoz

He and his Turkish fiancée, Seda Tekoz, were holidaying on Phi Phi Island , Thailand when the tsunami struck. Following a search by family and friends his body was found in a make-shift morgue at a buddhist temple in Krabi, but Miss Tekoz is still missing.

Mr Ledingham spent part of his childhood in Wales, but grew up mostly in Zimbabwe. His career in the hotel business took him all over the world.

He was working in New York at the time of the September 11 attacks, said his parents, Hamish and Val, and sister Victoria.

"[We] experienced much anguish in trying to contact him during this time; something that was to be repeated a few years later after the tsunami.

"Despite living around the world, Justin remained a 'Man of Africa' with the 'Heart of a Lion'. He loved his native Zimbabwe so much that his dream, contrary to all sensible advice, was to be married there in 2005.

"His loss was felt around the world, with memorials being held in London, New York, Paris, Harare and Shanghai...both grief and compassion are universal."

Sai Ywai Leung, 39, also reported as Steven Leung Sai-Wai, died in Thailand. He had been living in Hong Kong.

Dominic Stephenson, 27, and Eileen Lee, 24

Dominic Stephenson, 27, from Edinburgh, was on holiday at Charlie Beach resort on the island of Phi Phi with his partner, Eileen Lee, 24, who also died.

The couple had recently bought a flat together in Edinburgh.

A eulogy read at the inquest said: "They radiated enthusiasm, optimism and good cheer. They cared deeply for others and were generous to a fault.

"They were interested and interesting; funny, wise and kind. They were, in short, two people as good as any you could hope to meet."

Sean Sweetman

Sean Sweetman and his partner Lucy Coyle died on Phi Phi island.

Mr Sweetman, from Bath, and Miss Coyle, from Dublin, had both worked for the same company in London before travelling to Thailand.

In June his family said a Buddhist cremation ceremony held in Thailand had ended a "six-month journey of pain, grief and confusion".

The December inquest heard a poem written by Mr Sweetman's brother Hugh and dedicated to them both.

He and Miss Coyle's brother-in-law Derek had gone to Thailand to look for the couple.

Teacher Hannah Tugwell, from Chainhurst in Kent, was swept away from a beach cottage in Khao Lak. Her husband Matthew survived.

A eulogy at the inquest described how "Christmas will seem very empty without her."

Robert Whymant

Former foreign correspondent for the Times newspaper Robert Whymant, 60, was killed in the tsunami while swimming near his hotel in Sri Lanka.

He disappeared when he and his Japanese wife, Minako, were separated by a huge wave while enjoying a morning swim on Boxing Day. Mrs Whymant survived.

His body was found a week later.

At the inquest a eulogy described him as a "loving husband" and a loving brother to his sister Jane.

The other British victims buried or cremated abroad were:

John Andrews, Sofia Barona, Tin Ho Cheng, Tin Yee Cheng, Chung Choi, Jon Choi, Iris Choi, Anna Fitzgerald, Anthony Fitzsimmons, Alexandre Foures, Tracy Foures, Christian Foures, Dinah Fryer, Ilse Gotthiener, Ian Haggart, Patrick Haggart, Cynthia Lam, Veronica Lam, Nikhil Lissenburgh, Stephen Lissenburgh, Vikram Lissenburgh, Barry Lloyd-Jones, Carmella McGowan, Millie McGowan, Nova Mills (see under Benjamin Watts, inquests section above), Robin Needham, Phillip Nicholas, Bengt Rage, Parvin Rieu, Michael Scott, Nandika Silva, James Sparrow, David Tan, Sharlene May Tan, Phensiri Trickett, Michael Trickett, and David Watson.


The Metropolitan police still have six British people listed as missing, whom they are confident were killed in the tsunami. Their bodies have never been found or identified.

Robert Rowbottom and Sarah Bent

York students Sarah Bent, 19 and Robert Rowbottom, 21, were staying at a resort in Koh Phi Phi, Thailand.

In October Harrogate police chief inspector Neil Thewsey said attempts were still being made to find the couple.

DCI Thewsey said a beach hit by the waters could still hold vital clues.

Alice MacGill, 23, was kayaking with her mother Sarah (see Sarah MacGill, inquests section above) and sister Edith at the Tpa Resort, Ao Nang Beach, in Krabi, Thailand, when they were caught up in the tsunami.

Her mother died, while her sister survived. Alice's body has never been found.

At the London inquest for Alice's mother, coroner Alison Thompson told the family: "I'm so sorry about the situation with Alice. I believe the search has not stopped and will not do so."

In a statement read out on her behalf, Edith paid tribute to her sister who, she said "is undoubtedly safe with her mother".

A eulogy by Ms MacGill's partner Richard Luck described her as "always happy, always so pleased to see you, to speak to you or hear from you. She really did make you feel special". He said she was a gifted cellist who was training to be a music teacher.

Her memory would live on through a music charity in her name, being set up by her sister," he added.

Six month old Ruby Rose Fayet went missing along with her mother (see Samantha Fayet, inquests section above).

Baby Tia McGowan, is also missing, presumed dead.

Simon Stannard was in the area of the tsunami and police believe he was killed.

Jack Straw visits the damaged coast of Phuket

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Has China's housing bubble burst?
How the world's oldest clove tree defied an empire
Why Royal Ballet principal Sergei Polunin quit


Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific