Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point

In Depth

On Air

Archive
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Monday, July 19, 1999 Published at 09:53 GMT 10:53 UK


UK

'Severe' cuts in Royal security

The Queen is said to have requested the review

Protection costing £30m per year for the Royal Family is to be cut back, it is reported.

The Daily Telegraph newspaper says Princess Margaret, the Duke of York and his daughters and the Earl and Countess of Wessex will "lose some of their round-the-clock protection". Several Royal cousins may also be affected.

"Severe restrictions" will also placed on the use of police motorcycle escorts.

The paper says Princess Margaret "seldom ventures out without a team of three motorcycle outriders", whereas the Queen and the Prince of Wales often travel without them.

Prince Philip reportedly "drives around London anonymously in a converted black cab".


[ image: Security for the Wessex's home will reportedly cost £1m a year]
Security for the Wessex's home will reportedly cost £1m a year
The review is said to be chaired by Sir John Chilcot, a former permanent secretary at the Northern Ireland Office.

The study, which was commissioned by Home Secretary Jack Straw at the Queen's request last year, will be sent to him by the end of the month, the newspaper says.

Protection of Royal residences could also be targeted.

The security cost for Bagshot Park, home to the Earl and Countess of Wessex, is reportedly expected to be around £1m a year.

'Appropriate protection'

Most Royal protection is carried out by Scotland Yard's Special Operations 14 (SO14) division.

A Scotland Yard spokesman told BBC News Online that it was not its policy to comment on Royal protection.

But he did say there had already been a review into "specialist operations" by Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary on 9 June.

He said 12 recommendations had been made, and that the areas studied included SO14.

"We continually monitor the protection given to Royalty and diplomats, and it is of a consistently high quality," he said.

"We always ensure the appropriate levels of protection are given."

Royal scare

The Queen requested the review herself, after internal attempts at reforms had made little progress, the newspaper says.

It adds that some members of the Royal Family see any reduction in security as a "diminution of their position", and have taken their objections to this directly to the Queen.

Royal security was recently put to the test when an intruder was arrested after scaling 12ft railings and almost reaching the entrance to Buckingham Palace.

No action was taken against the unidentified 40-year-old man who climbed the palace gates in front of a crowd of tourists on 15 July.

Both Buckingham Palace and the Home Office would not make a statement on the reported review, and told BBC News Online they "never comment on royal security".





Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


UK Contents

Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales
England

Relevant Stories

19 Jul 99†|†UK
Buckingham Palace intruder held

09 Jun 99†|†Health
Spotting the Royal stalkers

08 Jun 99†|†UK
Royal visitors 'disturbed'

05 May 99†|†UK
Sophie 'under guard' after murder

12 Mar 99†|†UK
Inquiry after Royal records find





Internet Links


The Royal Family [official site]

Home Office

Security for royals cut to save money [19 July '99] - Electronic Telegraph


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Next steps for peace

Blairs' surprise over baby

Bowled over by Lord's

Beef row 'compromise' under fire

Hamilton 'would sell mother'

Industry misses new trains target

From Sport
Quins fightback shocks Cardiff

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

IRA ceasefire challenge rejected

Thousands celebrate Asian culture

From Sport
Christie could get two-year ban

From Entertainment
Colleagues remember Compo

Mother pleads for baby's return

Toys withdrawn in E.coli health scare

From Health
Nurses role set to expand

Israeli PM's plane in accident

More lottery cash for grassroots

Pro-lifers plan shock launch

Double killer gets life

From Health
Cold 'cure' comes one step closer

From UK Politics
Straw on trial over jury reform

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Ex-spy stays out in the cold

From UK Politics
Blair warns Livingstone

From Health
Smear equipment `misses cancers'

From Entertainment
Boyzone star gets in Christmas spirit

Fake bubbly warning

Murder jury hears dead girl's diary

From UK Politics
Germ warfare fiasco revealed

Blair babe triggers tabloid frenzy

Tourists shot by mistake

A new look for News Online