Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point

In Depth

On Air

Archive
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Tuesday, July 6, 1999 Published at 07:35 GMT 08:35 UK


UK

Resignation call after march ban

Last year's protest by residents over the Orange parade

A senior Orangeman has called for members of the Northern Ireland Parades Commission to resign after a decision to re-route a contentious march.

The Search for Peace
For the first time the Ballynafeigh Orange Lodge has been prevented from marching past the Ormeau Bridge in Belfast on the Orangemen's traditional marching day, 12 July.

The commission said the march would not be allowed into the mainly nationalist Lower Ormeau Road as there had been no face-to-face talks between Orangemen and residents.

But Executive Officer of the Orange Order, George Patton, accused the commission of being out of touch with reality.


[ image: George Patton:
George Patton: "Parades Commission are anti Orange"
He said the decision showed they had no concept of civil liberties or justice.

"We are very clear that we do not believe that we have to ask permission from anyone to walk the roads of this country," he said.

"I think the Parades Commission are just acting as they have done, they're anti-Orange, end of story.

"I think that the best thing the commissioners could now do is to write a little letter to Mr Blair with two words on it saying I resign."

Orangemen and unionist politicians have reacted angrily to the parade decision.


Mark Devenport on another controversial decision by the Parades Commission
Ballynafeigh Orange Lodge District Master, Noel Liggett, said Orangemen were "considerably disappointed" by the news.

"We actively engaged in dialogue this year and they turned around and said no," he added.

Democratic Unionist Assembly member, Nigel Dodds, was incensed by the ruling. "The Parades Commission has shown itself to be out of touch, out of ideas and it should be thrown out of office," he said.

'Insufficient dialogue'

The Parades Commission ruled that the Ballynafeigh Orange Lodge had not sufficiently engaged in dialogue with the Lower Ormeau Residents Action Group (Lorag) to seek a resolution to the dispute.


Denis Murray in Belfast: "The decision pleased the Catholic residents"
It also said it had serious concerns about the "potential for public disorder or damage to property should this parade proceed along the Lower Ormeau without local accommodation".

It also expressed concern that the residents had notified a protest parade to coincide with the Orange procession. The residents have now scrapped their parade.

Lorag spokesman Gerard Rice urged the Orangemen to respond to repeated calls for dialogue from the residents.


Ireland Correspondent Tom Coulter: "There will be a great deal of anger among Orange circles"
Other Orange lodges have said they will march to the Ormeau Bridge with their Ballynafeigh brethren to show solidarity.

Security sources are hoping that any protest will be peaceful.

The Orangemen's aim had been to march from their hall in Ballynafeigh and through the Lower Ormeau Road to join the main Orange parade in Belfast city centre.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


UK Contents

Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales
England

Relevant Stories

05 Jul 99 | UK Politics
Hume issues arms warning

05 Jul 99 | UK
Anger over Orange march route ban

06 Jul 99 | UK
Decommissioning - how big a task?

06 Jul 98 | Latest News
Peace process under threat - Trimble

06 Jul 98 | Latest News
Drumcree: The key quotes

06 Jul 98 | Latest News
Protestant violence over Drumcree





Internet Links


Parades Commission

Lower Ormeau Concerned Community

The Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Next steps for peace

Blairs' surprise over baby

Bowled over by Lord's

Beef row 'compromise' under fire

Hamilton 'would sell mother'

Industry misses new trains target

From Sport
Quins fightback shocks Cardiff

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

IRA ceasefire challenge rejected

Thousands celebrate Asian culture

From Sport
Christie could get two-year ban

From Entertainment
Colleagues remember Compo

Mother pleads for baby's return

Toys withdrawn in E.coli health scare

From Health
Nurses role set to expand

Israeli PM's plane in accident

More lottery cash for grassroots

Pro-lifers plan shock launch

Double killer gets life

From Health
Cold 'cure' comes one step closer

From UK Politics
Straw on trial over jury reform

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Ex-spy stays out in the cold

From UK Politics
Blair warns Livingstone

From Health
Smear equipment `misses cancers'

From Entertainment
Boyzone star gets in Christmas spirit

Fake bubbly warning

Murder jury hears dead girl's diary

From UK Politics
Germ warfare fiasco revealed

Blair babe triggers tabloid frenzy

Tourists shot by mistake

A new look for News Online