[an error occurred while processing this directive]
BBC News
watch One-Minute World News
Last Updated: Saturday, 9 October, 2004, 15:50 GMT 16:50 UK
City honours murdered son Bigley
People observe the silence in Liverpool's Clayton Square
People across Liverpool observed the two-minute silence
People across Liverpool have taken part in a two-minute silence to mark the death of murdered hostage Ken Bigley.

It was observed as part of a day of mourning declared on Saturday by the 62-year-old engineer's hometown.

A ceremony at the town hall led by the Lord Mayor and faith leaders was attended by about 200 people. A bell rang 62 times to mark each year of Mr Bigley's life.

The silence was also observed in homes, churches, cathedrals and businesses.

Mr Bigley was beheaded by his militant kidnappers on Thursday after three weeks in captivity.

'Great family'

Lord Mayor Frank Roderick said after the noon ceremony: "All over the city there were people observing the silence.

Mourners conducting a two minute silence
In Liverpool, all the faiths work together and we will continue to work together at this very sad time
Dr Shiv Pande
Merseyside Council of Faiths

"Liverpool is a city where people belong to a great family.

"In times like these we pull together and today we pulled together to show the Bigley family that we are with them."

Dr Shiv Pande, vice chairman of the Merseyside Council of Faiths, was also among those gathered in the shadow of the town hall.

He said: "It is high time that we learned to live by religion and live for religion.

"There is no religion in the world that tells us to fight or be anything other than kind and courteous.

"In Liverpool, all the faiths work together and we will continue to work together at this very sad time."

Maureen and Brian Rogers said they had travelled from Runcorn, in Cheshire, to observe the silence.

'Pay our respects'

Mrs Rogers said: "We are from Liverpool originally and when we heard that they had killed Ken we felt we had to pay our respects and let his family know that they are in our thoughts.

"It's too early to talk about what should happen to the terrorists but I hope they get their just desserts sooner rather than later.

"We can't let them get away with this."

A mourner leaves flowers outside Mr Bigley's Liverpool home
A mourner leaves flowers outside Mr Bigley's Liverpool home

BBC North of England correspondent Richard Wells said families in the main shopping streets had stopped to bow their heads for the silence.

Passengers outside the main railway station in Lime Street interrupted their journey for two minutes before continuing on their way.

And the ferry on the River Mersey between the city and the banks of the Wirral to the south sounded its horn.

Our correspondent said: "Today the city paid its respects to the man who pleaded in vain for his life at the hands of his captors several thousand miles away in Iraq - and for his mother who suffered such immeasurable stress back home."

Strength of feeling

He said a steady stream of people had signed the books of condolence at Liverpool's Roman Catholic cathedral, where a mass in Mr Bigley's honour was held on Friday night.

A bell tolled at St Mary's Church in Walton, near the home of Mr Bigley's 86-year-old mother Lil.

Well-wishers left flowers outside Mrs Bigley's house and scores of local residents signed a book of condolence at the church.

A guide at the Roman Catholic cathedral said: "This is far busier than any other Saturday morning, which just goes to show the strength of feeling about this."

A minute's silence was held before the England v Wales football match at Old Trafford on Saturday.

How the world learnt of Ken Bigley's death


News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia
UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature | Technology | Health
Have Your Say | In Pictures | Week at a Glance | Country Profiles | In Depth | Programmes
Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific