Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point

In Depth

On Air

Archive
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Friday, June 4, 1999 Published at 20:18 GMT 21:18 UK


UK

Never lose heart, 'disappeared' families told

The digging is continuing at six sites in the Irish Republic

Relatives of eight of the IRA "disappeared" have been told not to become disheartened by the lack of success after a week of digging for their bodies.

The Commission for the Location of Victims' Remains, which is in charge of retrieving the corpses, said the digging at burial sites indicated by the IRA is a "necessarily slow and painstaking" process.

The Search for Peace
The commissioners, retiring BBC governor Sir Kenneth Bloomfield from Northern Ireland and former Irish minister John Wilson in Dublin, said they had remained in contact with police and IRA intermediaries since digging began a week ago.

"It is primarily out of consideration for the families concerned that we have been somewhat reticent in our public comment over the past week," they said.


[ image: Around 1,600 tonnes of earth has been removed at one site]
Around 1,600 tonnes of earth has been removed at one site
"We are anxious not to raise any false hope or expectation of early success. At the same time we are also anxious that they should not become disheartened".

By Friday, the seventh day of excavations across the Irish Republic, only one of nine corpses had been found.

The remains, believed to be those of alleged Belfast informer Eamon Molloy, were inside a new coffin, placed above ground in an cemetery near Dundalk, Co Louth.

(Click here to see a map of the sites)

The IRA has said the lapse of time and deaths of members is responsible for their inability to pinpoint exactly where murder victims of the 1970s and 1980s are buried.

Detectives say they will keep digging until they are certain there is no hope of finding the remains, but have warned victims' families to expect a "long, drawn-out process".


[ image: Helen McKendry watches the dig for the body of her mother, Jean McConville]
Helen McKendry watches the dig for the body of her mother, Jean McConville
The son-in-law of one of the victims, widowed mother-of-10 Jean McConville, said he was optimistic that her remains would be found at Templetown Beach, Co Louth, where excavations started last Saturday.

"As much as anything, I can't believe the people who did this would be stupid enough to give the wrong place," said Seamus McKendry, who has maintained a vigil at the site with his wife, Helen, since the work started.

"You could see how they would get the exact site wrong in a place like this, where there are no landmarks, but no-one would want to be accused of giving the wrong place altogether."

Other victims being sought in the excavations are:

  • Kevin McKee and Seamus Wright, Belfast IRA men branded informers and killed in 1972. They were said to have been buried somewhere in an acre of densely wooded land near Navan, Co Meath. Excavation only began on Friday after private contractors chopped down and uprooted hundreds of trees and shrubs.

  • Brian McKinney, 23, and John McClory, 17, from Belfast, murdered in 1978 after being accused of stealing IRA weapons for use in armed robberies. Police have been digging up bogland near the border in Co Monaghan since Sunday for their remains.

  • Danny McIlhone, from Belfast, killed in 1981, also said to have pilfered IRA weapons to carry out robberies. His grave is said to be on the side of a mountain near Blessington, Co Wicklow, where work has been in progress since Sunday.

  • Brendan Megraw, branded an informer and killed in 1978. His burial place has been located as bogland near Kells, Co Meath, where digging started on Wednesday afternoon.

  • Columba McVeigh, 17, from Donaghmore, Co Tyrone, also branded an informer and killed in 1975. His burial place was located as another bog near Emyvale, Co Monaghan, where excavation work started on Monday.

    The search for the victims' remains began after legislation in the UK and Ireland established a commission to allow information to be accepted from the IRA without the threat of prosecution for those responsible in the crimes.

    But reaction to the search has become increasingly negative.

    Irish Taoiseach Bertie Ahern said the information about the location of the graves "does not appear to be satisfactory, to say the least".

    Mary Robinson, the UN Commissioner for Human Rights and former President of Ireland, has also challenged the IRA to do more.

    "I would hope that it would be possible to provide more factual material," she said. "It is so important that the families have an opportunity to bury their family members in respect and love."


    [ image:  ]

    (click here to return)



    Advanced options | Search tips




    Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


  • UK Contents

    Northern Ireland
    Scotland
    Wales
    England

    Relevant Stories

    03 Jun 99 | UK
    Bodies will be found - expert

    01 Jun 99 | UK
    IRA: No more clues on 'disappeared'

    28 May 99 | UK
    Profiles of the 'disappeared'

    31 May 99 | UK
    Search for IRA victims 'will not stop'

    30 May 99 | UK
    Search reunites victim's family

    28 May 99 | UK
    'Disappeared' reappear - but why now?

    28 May 99 | UK
    IRA locates victims' bodies

    28 May 99 | UK
    Tragedies of the Troubles





    Internet Links


    Sinn Fein

    Garda

    Northern Ireland (Location of Victims' Remains) Bill

    Newshound


    The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




    In this section

    Next steps for peace

    Blairs' surprise over baby

    Bowled over by Lord's

    Beef row 'compromise' under fire

    Hamilton 'would sell mother'

    Industry misses new trains target

    From Sport
    Quins fightback shocks Cardiff

    From Business
    Vodafone takeover battle heats up

    IRA ceasefire challenge rejected

    Thousands celebrate Asian culture

    From Sport
    Christie could get two-year ban

    From Entertainment
    Colleagues remember Compo

    Mother pleads for baby's return

    Toys withdrawn in E.coli health scare

    From Health
    Nurses role set to expand

    Israeli PM's plane in accident

    More lottery cash for grassroots

    Pro-lifers plan shock launch

    Double killer gets life

    From Health
    Cold 'cure' comes one step closer

    From UK Politics
    Straw on trial over jury reform

    Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

    Ex-spy stays out in the cold

    From UK Politics
    Blair warns Livingstone

    From Health
    Smear equipment `misses cancers'

    From Entertainment
    Boyzone star gets in Christmas spirit

    Fake bubbly warning

    Murder jury hears dead girl's diary

    From UK Politics
    Germ warfare fiasco revealed

    Blair babe triggers tabloid frenzy

    Tourists shot by mistake

    A new look for News Online