Prince Charles is continuing his tour of Oman against a background of growing media interest after his denial of unspecified allegations against him.
Prince Charles, on a tour of Oman, is said to be in "buoyant" mood
Clarence House said in a statement on Thursday the claims were "ludicrous" and "untrue".
The allegations have already appeared in an Italian newspaper and on at least two websites, but cannot be published in the UK for legal reasons.
A legal expert said there was a possibility the claims could appear in Scottish newspapers, as an injunction against the story only applies in England and Wales.
The Prince, who on Saturday helped out in an art class during a visit to a centre for children with disabilities and learning difficulties, is due to return to the UK on Sunday.
There has been speculation that full details of the allegations could appear in the national UK press on Sunday, despite an injunction.
Some media analysts have criticised the issuing of a denial by Clarence House, before any details had been published in UK newspapers, as adding fuel to the fire.
But Charles Anson, the Queen's former press secretary, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme it was the right thing to do.
"We live in a different age now, with the internet and e-mail, it's not just what's being said in the press, it's what's being said all around the world by people on their websites."
The Queen had been consulted about the statement and supported it, he said.
The prince's friend Lord Bell agreed the statement had been necessary in the new media landscape.
"It's a change in the way life is. A few years ago there wasn't an internet, it wouldn't have appeared on it," he told Today.
"A few years ago the newspapers would have chosen to ignore this story because they would have seen... there is absolutely no foundation to these allegations".
Lord Bell criticised the "absurd desire" among press and public for "tittle tattle and gossip".
He conceded that part of the problem was that public attitudes towards the Royal Family had become less deferential.
"I'm sure the attitude of a lot of people in the country has changed towards the Royal Family.
I think that's unfortunate, but there it is."
But he said the prince was "very resilient", had a great sense of duty and would not let the rumours distract him from his job.
"He'll feel that these things are very frustrating and very annoying, but they are not an issue that should get in the way of him doing what his real function is."
Earlier, Dickie Arbiter, another former press secretary to the Queen, said he thought the release of a statement had been a mistake and that "a dignified silence" would have been better.
PR guru Max Clifford also criticised the move, as it highlighted "a rumour that a few hundred people were aware of and turned it into a rumour that millions of people are asking about".
The denial came after the Guardian newspaper won a High Court battle to name Prince Charles' ex-valet, Michael Fawcett, as the person trying to stop the allegations being printed by the Mail on Sunday newspaper.
The claims were made by another former royal servant, believed to be George Smith, who used to serve as a footman.
The Mail on Sunday was blocked last Saturday from publishing the allegations but now says the situation regarding its plans for the story is "fluid".
On Saturday Prince Charles drew on his artistic talents to help at a centre in Muscat for pre-school children with disabilities and learning difficulties.
A keen painter, the prince helped a four-year-old deaf child to colour in a
picture of a fish before she drew a long green line on his fawn coloured suit.
Charles laughed it off, and then joined in with a sponge painting lesson that left him with spots of blue paint on his hands.
Later he visited the Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque in Muscat, the main focus of worship in the sultanate.
A spokesman said he was in a "buoyant" mood.