Front Page

UK

World

Business

Sci/Tech

Sport

Despatches

World Summary


On Air

Cantonese

Talking Point

Feedback

Text Only

Help

Site Map

Wednesday, November 19, 1997 Published at 11:44 GMT



UK

Three generations wiped out in Egypt massacre

Three generations of the Turner family were killed in the massacre

Three generations of a British family were among those killed by Islamic fundamentalist gunmen outside an ancient Egyptian tomb on Monday.

Thousands of British tourists are now returning home following the massacre of more than 60 people at the temple of Hatshepsut near Luxor.


[ image: Shaunnah's family only booked at short notice]
Shaunnah's family only booked at short notice
A grandmother, her daughter and five-year-old granddaughter, who only had decided on a winter break at the last minute, were among six British victims.

They were Shaunnah Turner, her mother Karina Turner and Karina's mother Joan Turner, of Halifax in West Yorkshire.

Also killed were George and Ivy Wigham, an elderly couple from Kent, and Sylvia Wilder, who held joint British and Bulgarian nationality.

The British Ambassador in Egypt, Sir David Blatherwick, said two other Britons who were originally unaccounted for following Monday's shooting had been located safe and well.


[ image: British survivors glad to be back in UK]
British survivors glad to be back in UK
The British Consul Jenny Taylor is in Luxor helping arrange for the bodies of the dead to be flown to Cairo then back to Britain as soon as possible.

The Foreign Office has advised anxious relatives to ring 0171 270 1500 and 0171 839 1010 to find out information about family members who might have been caught up in the attack.

Travel companies have moved swiftly to bring Britons home as soon as possible.


[ image: A British tourist with tickets to the fatal temple]
A British tourist with tickets to the fatal temple
A fleet of aircraft flew to Egypt on Tuesday morning to begin an airlift of hundreds of British holidaymakers in case of further attacks.

Seven empty aircraft left Gatwick Airport bound for Luxor, due to return to Britain on Tuesday evening. At Manchester, four special flights from Egypt were due to land on Tuesday night.

Around 350,000 Britons visit Egypt every year but the Foreign Office is now advising British tourists to avoid the Luxor area, which is situated in a hotbed of Islamic militancy.

The Foreign Secretary Robin Cook said: "I send the British Government's heartfelt condolences to the families of the victims and our sympathy to the Egyptian government, with whom we stand together in condemning this sickening act of violence."

The Prime Minister Tony Blair phoned President Mubarak to pass on his condolences and express solidarity in the fight against terrorism.

The Luxor massacre was the bloodiest attack yet on tourists in a five-year campaign by Islamic militants, who want to bring down the secular, elected government of President Hosni Mubarak.

Some 68 people, including 58 tourists and six gunmen, were killed when gunmen opened fire indiscriminately on tourists who had just got off buses to visit an ancient temple in the desert outside the city.

British ambassador Sir David Blatherwick tells Nick Clarke the lastest developments on BBC Radio 4
Leading Islamic academic Professor Akbar Ahmed fears an increase in racist attacks in Britain





Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage

Related Stories

What happened at Luxor?

Internet Links

The Foreign Office website

Luxor tourism


The BBC is not responsible for the content of these internet sites.
In this section

Next steps for peace

Blairs' surprise over baby

Bowled over by Lord's

Beef row 'compromise' under fire

Hamilton 'would sell mother'

Industry misses new trains target

From Sport
Quins fightback shocks Cardiff

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

IRA ceasefire challenge rejected

Thousands celebrate Asian culture

From Sport
Christie could get two-year ban

From Entertainment
Colleagues remember Compo

Mother pleads for baby's return

Toys withdrawn in E.coli health scare

From Health
Nurses role set to expand

Israeli PM's plane in accident

More lottery cash for grassroots

Pro-lifers plan shock launch

Double killer gets life

From Health
Cold 'cure' comes one step closer

From UK Politics
Straw on trial over jury reform

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Ex-spy stays out in the cold

From UK Politics
Blair warns Livingstone

From Health
Smear equipment `misses cancers'

From Entertainment
Boyzone star gets in Christmas spirit

Fake bubbly warning

Murder jury hears dead girl's diary

From UK Politics
Germ warfare fiasco revealed

Blair babe triggers tabloid frenzy

Tourists shot by mistake

A new look for News Online





UK Contents

Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales
England