Monday, April 19, 1999 Published at 10:02 GMT 11:02 UK
Bomb warning 'ignored'
Aiah Menjor was evacuating the area when the bomb went off
A security guard caught in the Brixton bomb attack has described from his hospital bed how shoppers did not believe him when he tried to warn them about the device.
Police are still sifting through recordings from nearby security cameras to see if the bomber was caught on video.
"Even when I said 'move' they wouldn't move. They would say 'no, we don't expect this in Brixton so this is not a bomb'."
Mr Menjor is being treated at St Thomas's hospital, south London.
There are fears that he may lose the sight in his left eye.
Two men, being treated in King's College Hospital, may lose their sight.
A 16-year-old girl is being treated in St Thomas's hospital, where she was operated on for shrapnel injuries on Sunday.
A 23-month-old boy in the same hospital is in a stable condition after an operation to remove a four-inch nail from his skull.
The teenager, whose foot was pierced by a six-inch nail, said: "I'm fine, but my foot is knackered."
"It was terrifying. I found the bag and moved it out of innocent people's way, and seconds later there was just a huge bang."
The street remains cordoned off, but police say it will be reopened as soon as the shops which line both sides had been made secure. Many still have broken windows.
One market trader, who declined to be named, was among the few setting up fruit and vegetable stalls along Electric Avenue this morning.
No motive established
He said: "What we want is just to get back to normality. We just want things to be like they were before.
"You can't let this sort of thing beat you, can you?"
Detectives still examining possible motives for the bomb attack as they step up their hunt for the culprit.
No reason has been established for Saturday's attack
Police will begin interviewing scores of witnesses, hoping to confirm sightings of a suspicious "blond man" outside the Iceland supermarket where the bomb exploded.