Saturday, February 20, 1999 Published at 01:35 GMT
Newspaper 'welcomes' Lawrence action
Violence as the five suspects leave the public inquiry last year
The five men named by the Daily Mail as the murderers of Stephen Lawrence are said to have an alibi for the night the teenager died, and would be willing to sue the newspaper.
The Mail said it stood by its allegations and would "welcome" a court case.
Pam Knight says the five are now prepared to mount a libel action against the paper, adding: "If they got a fair hearing, and their safety was guaranteed, yes, we would all do it tomorrow.
They said that they had been put off a libel action by the prospect of a legal bill of up to £500,000.
The women say their sons' lives have been ruined, and that no lawyers want to take on the case because of the publicity, and because any jury would be prejudiced.
"We know where our sons were that night," said one of the mothers.
"I would stake my life on it. They have got nothing to do with the murder of Stephen Lawrence."
The Mail issued a statement on Friday standing by its naming of the five as murderers.
It said: "We believe, if it had not been for our actions, there would never have been an inquiry into the murder of Stephen Lawrence and the subsequent denial of justice to his family.
"We would welcome the opportunity to establish the truth in a court of law about this terrible crime and why Stephen's killers are still free."
The mothers also defended their sons over a police video that showed extreme racist language and behaviour.
One said: "They were hitting back after 18 months of persecution. They were 17 years old. A lot of young boys that age say silly things and that is all it was."
The mothers also spoke about their sympathy for Doreen Lawrence, Stephen's mother.
One said: "I feel for her being a mother myself. It's the most terrible thing to lose a child. But our sons are innocent. They can't keep persecuting our sons for something they haven't done."
Home Secretary Jack Straw has started studying the long-awaited report by Sir William Macpherson into the police investigation of the murder.
A Home Office spokesman has said the home secretary will make a statement to the House of Commons and publish it shortly.