Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Thursday, November 19, 1998 Published at 20:28 GMT


UK

ITV news flagship sunk

Making headlines: News at Ten's Trevor McDonald

The death knell has sounded for ITV's News at Ten after 30 years in the prime-time slot.


BBC's Nick Higham: Viewers are watching it less and less
The Independent Television Commission has agreed to changes in the news programme's weekly schedules, which will now see its main bulletin broadcast at 6.30pm.

A later bulletin will be put out at 11pm with headlines at 10pm.

ITV loses a third of its audience at 10pm and executives say the move has been forced by competition from more channels.

Audience decline

ITC Chairman Sir Robin Biggam said: "It is right to give ITV the opportunity to put its plans to the test.

"Of course, many viewers value News at Ten as an institution, but as a high-quality news programme its audiences have continued to decline."

ITN issued a statement saying that it "intends to build on the News At Ten tradition in producing television of the highest quality with the widest possible appeal".

The ITC has however imposed conditions on the move.

'It is not good news'

Among them, it says ITV must not reduce funding for its national and international television news and that an agreed number of 30-minute slots for regional programmes should be provided around peak time.


[ image: Culture Secretary Chris Smith opposed the move]
Culture Secretary Chris Smith opposed the move
The decision follows a long and bitterly-fought campaign on both sides, with Prime Minister Tony Blair, Culture Secretary Chris Smith and the influential Culture, Media and Sport select committee against the move.

Last month, Mr Smith said: "By moving the main Channel 3 bulletins outside the heart of peak there is a risk of diminishing their availability to viewers and their capacity to compete effectively with the BBC and other nationwide news bulletins."

Former Prime Minister John Major said after the decision: "I suspect it will lead to a downgrading of the quality of evening television.

"It is certainly not good news."

However, major advertisers expressed "strong support" for ITV's proposals in letters to the ITC.

BBC: No move

ITV declined to say how quickly News At Ten would be scrapped.


[ image: BBC's News Chief Executive Tony Hall: 9 stays at 9]
BBC's News Chief Executive Tony Hall: 9 stays at 9
But its Chairman Richard Eyre said the new schedule, which begins next year, would be "an exciting and far-reaching overhaul of ITV's prime-time".

Meanwhile, the BBC gave its support to ITV's new scheduling of its news bulletins and hinted that no such move would be applied to its flapship news programme.

BBC News Chief Executive Tony Hall said: "Our viewers want a serious news programme at the heart of the evening schedule, which the BBC will continue to deliver at 9pm.

"ITV will, I'm sure, continue to provide strong bulletins wherever they are scheduled."



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


UK Contents

Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales
England

Relevant Stories

19 Nov 98 | UK
Here is the news of the Ten

19 Nov 98 | UK
News at When?

05 Nov 98 | UK Politics
'News at Ten should stay'

07 Oct 98 | UK Politics
Smith fights to save News at Ten

02 Sep 98 | Entertainment
Not the 10 o'clock News?





Internet Links


News at Ten

Saga magazine online - Trevor McDonald


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Next steps for peace

Blairs' surprise over baby

Bowled over by Lord's

Beef row 'compromise' under fire

Hamilton 'would sell mother'

Industry misses new trains target

From Sport
Quins fightback shocks Cardiff

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

IRA ceasefire challenge rejected

Thousands celebrate Asian culture

From Sport
Christie could get two-year ban

From Entertainment
Colleagues remember Compo

Mother pleads for baby's return

Toys withdrawn in E.coli health scare

From Health
Nurses role set to expand

Israeli PM's plane in accident

More lottery cash for grassroots

Pro-lifers plan shock launch

Double killer gets life

From Health
Cold 'cure' comes one step closer

From UK Politics
Straw on trial over jury reform

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Ex-spy stays out in the cold

From UK Politics
Blair warns Livingstone

From Health
Smear equipment `misses cancers'

From Entertainment
Boyzone star gets in Christmas spirit

Fake bubbly warning

Murder jury hears dead girl's diary

From UK Politics
Germ warfare fiasco revealed

Blair babe triggers tabloid frenzy

Tourists shot by mistake

A new look for News Online