Wednesday, November 18, 1998 Published at 12:31 GMT
Dome Tube extension 'sabotaged'
How the extension should eventually look
Police are investigating alleged incidents of deliberate sabotage on London's beleaguered Jubilee Line extension.
British Transport Police have been called in to interview workers on the prestigious 10-mile Tube extension which will link central London to the Millennium Dome.
London Underground said the incidents started several months ago and were in areas not accessible to members of the public.
A spokeswoman described the cutting of cables as vandalism but agreed they were aimed at sabotaging the project.
'Pushing up costs'
"We are concerned that there have been acts of vandalism over several months on the JLE which are delaying the project and pushing up costs.
"Where these have happened work has had to be redone and rechecked."
"These are malicious, spiteful acts which can be carried out in a matter of seconds but could cost the project over a month," said the spokeswoman.
"We take these matters very seriously and are working with British Transport Police who are investigating these incidents which have occurred right across the project and have cost in the region of £100,000."
The extension is set to carry over half the 12 million people expected to visit the Dome in Greenwich in 2000.
Security has been stepped up on the project with extra guards hired and roving patrols put in place, it was disclosed later.
London bridge site manager Paul Gover said vandalism had been going on for several months.
And he said he believed that the latest attack on a number of cables at the site had been carried out by someone who "knew what they were doing".