Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Saturday, November 7, 1998 Published at 16:59 GMT


UK

Historic honour for war deserters

Wreaths for deserters were laid at the Cenotaph for the first time

Families of soldiers executed during World War I for cowardice or desertion have honoured their loved ones at the Cenotaph.

World War 1:Special Section
It was the first time their relatives had been allowed to hold a remembrance ceremony at the Whitehall memorial.

About 100 people, including supporters of the War Pardons Campaign, paid tribute to the 306 British and Commonwealth servicemen shot during the war.


Emily Reuben: 75 years for the families to learn that their relatives were not cowards
The Last Post was sounded on the striking of 11 o'clock, before families of the dead quietly laid wreathes at the foot of the Cenotaph.

Many had only recently learnt of the true circumstances surrounding their experiences on the battlefields.

The niece of one of the deserters - William Nelson - saluted as she laid a wreath.

He had heard while in the trenches that his mother had died and that his young sister and brother had no-one to care for them.


[ image: At the striking of 11 the Last Post was sounded]
At the striking of 11 the Last Post was sounded
Mr Nelson tried to leave the trenches as soon as he could to go and look after them. He was immediately punished for this, and later executed.

Stafford-based Tom Stones's great uncle was shot after being court martialed for allegedly casting away his weapon in the face of the enemy.

He said at the ceremony: "The shameful facts surrounding their deaths were locked away for 75 years in the War Office and we knew nothing about the circumstances surrounding their deaths."

He said the families had so far come halfway in their campaign for the executed to be remembered.


Tom Stones on his great uncle William, who was shot for cowardice
"There's recognition for the first time of the existence of these men but we want pardons for them."

The ceremony in London has reopened the controversy over the government's decision in July not to offer posthumous pardons to soldiers who were shot for cowardice.

The government expressed "regret" about the way they were treated and said the evidence supporting pardons "just does not exist".


[ image: Deserters were killed by their own firing squads]
Deserters were killed by their own firing squads
Labour MP for Thurrock Andrew Mackinlay is a strong supporter of the campaign to win posthumous pardons for the soldiers - many of whom are now thought ot have suffered post-traumatic stress disorder after enduring months of heavy bombardment in the trenches.

He said after the ceremony: "I think the public interest in this event shows the fact that the issue of gaining pardons for soldiers killed in this way is a massive issue. The government needs to look at it very closely."

The tribute took place ahead of the main Remembrance Day ceremony on Sunday, when the Royal Family, politicians and war veterans will lead Britain in remembering the nation's wartime dead.

Later on Saturday all 160 surviving British veterans who fought on French soil during the 1914-18 war received France's top medal, the Legion D'Honneur.

A party of 13 former soldiers accepted their medals from French ambassador Daniel Bernard at the Imperial War Museum.


[ image: Poppies fall on an afternoon remembrance service at the Royal Albert Hall]
Poppies fall on an afternoon remembrance service at the Royal Albert Hall
The men, seven of whom were aged 100 or more, were surrounded by guns, tanks and bomber planes for the moving ceremony.

Robert Burns, who will celebrate his 103rd birthday on Thursday, said: "This is the proudest moment for me since I left the Army.

"It has been wonderful to receive such a permanent memento, but many of the men have been moved to tears."

This evening the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will attend the annual Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall, where veterans from the three armed forces will parade in the arena.

The Duke of York, Princess Anne, the Duke of Gloucester, the Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra will also attend.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


UK Contents

Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales
England

Relevant Stories

07 Nov 98 | UK
Families remember executed soldiers

07 Nov 98 | UK
Saluting the fallen

07 Nov 98 | UK
Sassoon poem discovered

05 Nov 98 | UK
Queen Mother remembers war dead

24 Jul 98 | UK
Deserters - or fallen heroes?





Internet Links


The British Legion

Trenches on the Web


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Next steps for peace

Blairs' surprise over baby

Bowled over by Lord's

Beef row 'compromise' under fire

Hamilton 'would sell mother'

Industry misses new trains target

From Sport
Quins fightback shocks Cardiff

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

IRA ceasefire challenge rejected

Thousands celebrate Asian culture

From Sport
Christie could get two-year ban

From Entertainment
Colleagues remember Compo

Mother pleads for baby's return

Toys withdrawn in E.coli health scare

From Health
Nurses role set to expand

Israeli PM's plane in accident

More lottery cash for grassroots

Pro-lifers plan shock launch

Double killer gets life

From Health
Cold 'cure' comes one step closer

From UK Politics
Straw on trial over jury reform

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Ex-spy stays out in the cold

From UK Politics
Blair warns Livingstone

From Health
Smear equipment `misses cancers'

From Entertainment
Boyzone star gets in Christmas spirit

Fake bubbly warning

Murder jury hears dead girl's diary

From UK Politics
Germ warfare fiasco revealed

Blair babe triggers tabloid frenzy

Tourists shot by mistake

A new look for News Online