Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Wednesday, November 4, 1998 Published at 00:02 GMT


UK

Convicted Guardsmen keep their jobs

The scene of the shooting in the nationalist New Lodge


BBC Ireland Correspondent Denis Murray: This decision has been widely condemned
Two British soldiers convicted of murdering a Catholic man in Northern Ireland in 1995 are to be retained in the Army.

Scots Guardsmen Mark Fisher and James Wright were released on licence in September after serving three years for the murder of Peter McBride in Belfast.


[ image: Mark Fisher: Freed on licence]
Mark Fisher: Freed on licence
Northern Ireland Secretary Mo Mowlam said at the time she did not think they should remain in the the Army.

But the Army Board decided on Tuesday the two men's service careers could continue.


Northern Ireland Correspondent Denis Murray recalls the McBride shooting
A statement from the Ministry of Defence said: "The board reached the conclusion, allowed for in Queen's Regulations, that there were exceptional reasons for the retention of the two guardsmen."

Wright and Fisher shot Mr McBride twice in the back while on patrol in a nationalist area of north Belfast.


[ image: Peter McBride: Shot in the back]
Peter McBride: Shot in the back
They told the court they thought the 18-year-old was carrying a bomb but were convicted of murder and jailed for life.

Their case was brought up time and again in both Houses of Parliament and by several newspapers.

Earlier this year former Tory cabinet minister Lord Tebbit tried to amend the Northern Ireland Sentences Bill to require the early release of the two Guardsmen before any paramilitary prisoners were released.


[ image: James Wright: Thought Peter McBride was a bomber]
James Wright: Thought Peter McBride was a bomber
Lord Tebbit was joined in his desire to see the two Guardsmen released by the former Labour Northern Ireland Secretary, Lord Merlyn-Rees.

Colonel Tim Spicer, the men's commanding officer at the time, said: "I am delighted with the Army Board's decision to allow James Fisher and Mark Wright to continue their Army careers.

"It was absolutely disgraceful that they were convicted in the first place."

Independent MP Martin Bell, who last December became patron of the group campaigning for the guardsmen's release, said: "I always thought it was inconceivable that the Army Board should stand by these two during the years of their detention and then abandon them when there were free men."

Ulster Unionist Party security spokesman Ken Maginnis was "absolutely delighted" that the soldiers were to remain in the army.

But Sinn Fein attacked the Army Board decision as "a blatant disregard for the life of Peter McBride".

Speaking for the party, Belfast Councillor Mick Conlon said it legitimised what was in effect "a random and brutal killing".

Earlier this year another British soldier, Private Lee Clegg, had his conviction for the murder of another Catholic teenager in Belfast quashed.

Clegg, now a Lance Corporal, was convicted in 1990 of murdering Karen Reilly, who was killed when troops opened fire on a stolen car in Belfast.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


UK Contents

Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales
England

Relevant Stories

06 Jul 98 | UK
Review for jailed soldiers

30 May 98 | UK
Freedom demanded for jailed guardsmen

22 Feb 98 | UK
MP backs campaign to free guardsmen





Internet Links


The Northern Ireland Office

Ministry of Defence

British Army


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Next steps for peace

Blairs' surprise over baby

Bowled over by Lord's

Beef row 'compromise' under fire

Hamilton 'would sell mother'

Industry misses new trains target

From Sport
Quins fightback shocks Cardiff

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

IRA ceasefire challenge rejected

Thousands celebrate Asian culture

From Sport
Christie could get two-year ban

From Entertainment
Colleagues remember Compo

Mother pleads for baby's return

Toys withdrawn in E.coli health scare

From Health
Nurses role set to expand

Israeli PM's plane in accident

More lottery cash for grassroots

Pro-lifers plan shock launch

Double killer gets life

From Health
Cold 'cure' comes one step closer

From UK Politics
Straw on trial over jury reform

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Ex-spy stays out in the cold

From UK Politics
Blair warns Livingstone

From Health
Smear equipment `misses cancers'

From Entertainment
Boyzone star gets in Christmas spirit

Fake bubbly warning

Murder jury hears dead girl's diary

From UK Politics
Germ warfare fiasco revealed

Blair babe triggers tabloid frenzy

Tourists shot by mistake

A new look for News Online