Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Wednesday, October 14, 1998 Published at 20:20 GMT 21:20 UK


UK

Charles attacks press over Harry's haircut

Prince Harry signs the register on his first day at Eton


The BBC's Nick Higham reports on the reaction from St James's Palace
Prince Charles is to write to the press watchdog after a tabloid newspaper story about Prince Harry's hairstyle.

The Prince is concerned about the extent to which stories about his sons, William and Harry, "cumulatively constitute an intrusion into their privacy".

The Mirror reported how an attempt by 14-year-old Prince Harry and his Eton schoolmates to copy soccer star Michael Owen's short haircut went awry and resulted in him having a marine-style crop at a barber's to repair the damage.


[ image: The story that offended the Prince]
The story that offended the Prince
The article was accompanied by computer-generated images of how "Harry the skinhead" might look.

The Prince of Wales's spokeswoman, Sandy Henney, said: "The story and computer-generated pictures in The Daily Mirror raise a general issue about the extent to which individual news stories about Prince William and Prince Harry cumulatively constitute an intrusion into their privacy.

"It is a matter of considerable concern to the Prince of Wales, who will be raising the matter with the chairman of the Press Complaints Commission and industry's Code of Practice Committee."


The BBC's Jennie Bond: Harry's hairstyle story was the final straw for the palace
Mirror editor Piers Morgan defended his paper and said he was "very surprised" to learn that the St James's Palace press office was raising concerns about the story.

"That same press office was informed of our intention to publish the story yesterday afternoon and never once raised any concerns with us that it might be invading Harry's privacy.

'Amusing and harmless'

He said St James's Palace had agreed with The Mirror that the story was "both amusing and harmless" and that the press office had in fact provided the paper with official confirmation.

Mr Morgan added: "The Mirror has rejected countless stories about both Prince William and Prince Harry in the last year as we have no wish to cause either boy any upset by running invasive or intrusive stories about their private lives.

"Only two days ago we did not publish one particular story after St James's Palace press office expressed concern about it intruding into Harry's life.

"There are a number of areas of the princes' lives which should and do remain private and unreported but I do not consider the reporting of a haircut to possibly be an invasion of privacy and nor did the St James's Palace press office yesterday.

"It is hard not to conclude that the press office have reacted to complaints from other media who did not have the story."

Later in the day Ms Henney took issue with Mr Morgan's claim that the story was harmless and amusing.

She asked: "It might be a nice human story, but did that mean they had to publish it?"



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage |


UK Contents

Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales
England
Internet Links


The Mirror

The British Monarchy

Press Complaints Commission


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Next steps for peace

Blairs' surprise over baby

Bowled over by Lord's

Beef row 'compromise' under fire

Hamilton 'would sell mother'

Industry misses new trains target

From Sport
Quins fightback shocks Cardiff

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

IRA ceasefire challenge rejected

Thousands celebrate Asian culture

From Sport
Christie could get two-year ban

From Entertainment
Colleagues remember Compo

Mother pleads for baby's return

Toys withdrawn in E.coli health scare

From Health
Nurses role set to expand

Israeli PM's plane in accident

More lottery cash for grassroots

Pro-lifers plan shock launch

Double killer gets life

From Health
Cold 'cure' comes one step closer

From UK Politics
Straw on trial over jury reform

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Ex-spy stays out in the cold

From UK Politics
Blair warns Livingstone

From Health
Smear equipment `misses cancers'

From Entertainment
Boyzone star gets in Christmas spirit

Fake bubbly warning

Murder jury hears dead girl's diary

From UK Politics
Germ warfare fiasco revealed

Blair babe triggers tabloid frenzy

Tourists shot by mistake

A new look for News Online