Friday, September 25, 1998 Published at 19:24 GMT 20:24 UK
Engineering 'SAS' to save Dome tube
Jubilee extension will now be opened in three stages
London Transport have brought in a firm from the US to ensure that the UK's great project for the millennium will be accessible to underground passengers by January 2000.
One transport analyst has called Bechtel the "SAS of the engineering world".
The 10-mile extension - the largest civil engineering project in Europe - had been due to open this year.
This latest move is adding millions of pounds to the £2.7bn project, but clearly LT realises it will not get a second chance to get the project delivered on time.
LT Chief Executive Denis Tunnicliffe said the rate of work on the stations over the summer had been "disappointing".
Bechtel company official Clifford Mumm on Friday became chief executive of the Jubilee Line Extension Project, replacing the current project director Hugh Doherty.
Mr Mumm said the first phase would be from Stratford to North Greenwich in east London, to be opened by 30 April, 1999.
The experience gained from public interaction with this section of the line would be used to inform the rest of the project.
"Essentially Bechtel has come to us and said, 'The best way to guarantee this project is to throw the real public at it'," Mr Tunnicliffe said.
The second phase from north Greenwich to Waterloo is due to open in late summer 1999, with the final, vital link joining it all together scheduled for autumn 1999.
Only then will people be able to get to the Dome from central London.
There are fears that the Dome will either be a flop, or the centre of a massive traffic jam if the travel arrangements are not ready in time.