BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Arabic Spanish Russian Chinese Welsh
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC NEWS
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Commonwealth Games 2002

BBC Sport

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
Sunday, 16 September, 2001, 04:00 GMT 05:00 UK
Designers pull out of Fashion Week
Balloon fest by fashion designer Arkadius
The shows will go on despite top names withdrawing
Six British designers have pulled out of London Fashion Week following the US terror attacks.

Nicole Farhi, Paul Smith, Katharine Hamnett, Clements Ribeiro, Burberry and Justin Oh will not be taking part in the event, which starts on Monday.

But the British Fashion Council (BFC) has pledged the week will still go ahead, saying it is essential that businesses try to return to normal.

Some of the high profile designers took the decision not to take part because they felt it was inappropriate that the shows were still going ahead.


New York had to be cancelled last week for obvious reasons but Milan and Paris are going ahead and so are we

John Wilson,
British Fashion Council
Others pulled out because their fashion teams are stranded in New York, where the autumn round of shows was in full swing at the time of the attacks.

They say it would be impossible to organise the logistical operation to bring models and stylists to the UK from the US in time for the event.

The BFC's chief executive John Wilson said it was the "overwhelming view" of British designers that every attempt should be made to ensure things returned to normal as soon as possible.

Celebrations cancelled

"We are talking about a business situation here," he said.

"New York had to be cancelled last week for obvious reasons but Milan and Paris are going ahead and so are we."

The BFC says 60 designers will still be showing at the event, which is being held at London's Natural History Museum.

However all parties and celebrations associated with London Fashion Week have been cancelled, and BFC will be making a contribution to the US attacks relief fund.


Key stories

Background

War view

TALKING POINT

FORUM

SPECIAL REPORTS
See also:

26 Feb 01 | UK
London Fashion Week
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories